Timestamp of blogpost

May 9, 2007 at 7:07 AM
Hi there,

Any chance that the actual timestamp of a blogpost is:

a) set on the actual/current time of submission
b) configurable (as in: able to modify via admin page)

Thanks,
Mike
Coordinator
May 9, 2007 at 12:47 PM
There is a bug that sets the time of the posts when created to 00:00:00. You can only change the date as of right now. I'll see if I can provide a fix for this before first release.
May 9, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Edited May 9, 2007 at 7:39 PM
In the same vein, I was curious if there was any way for BlogEngine to store and display the time of the post based on the users machine.

For example, I am on the east coast of the US, but my hosting provider's server is central time US. When I post, it shows a time 1 hour before I actually made the post. When a freind on the west coast looks at it, it says 2 hours after the time it was posted.

From what little reasearch I have done, this seems like it might be difficult because the server has no way of knowing the client's time zone, but I'm not terribly knowledgable about it (yet!).

Thanks!
May 9, 2007 at 10:41 PM
The correct thing to do here is to store the time in UTC on the server. Now it's canonical - the same for everyone in the world, irrelevant of where you posted from or where your server is.

The tricky bit comes when you output it. You can simply output it as UTC, which isn't the nicest, or you could use a bit of client side Javascript to format the date as local time, which is much nicer.

Cheers
Matt
Coordinator
May 10, 2007 at 6:20 PM
The time has now been added to the posts in the latest change set
May 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM

madskristensen wrote:
The time has now been added to the posts in the latest change set

Excellent and thank you, highly appreciated!