Trackback x3

Topics: Controls, Themes
May 14, 2007 at 10:47 AM
I'm trying to understand how this whole trackback thing works... Found a good enough explanation at http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/trackback.html and now I've ended up with three questions. But first some reasoning to make sure I'm on the right track here :)

It doesnt seem to be quite as easy as described... If I hover over the trackback link both IE and FireFox will show the trackback URL in the bottom toolbar but if I click the link the adress field will show the post URL, just as if I had clicked on the comment link...

I've checked a friends blog (running on DasBlog) and same problem there... So I'm thinking maybe it is supposed to be that way... and dig into the code of BlogEnine.NET to get an idea of how it works :)

If I get this right there is no file named trackback.axd, it is just a way to expose code through the web.config. In this case trackback.axd exposes the code found in BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.TrackbackHandler.cs. The ProcessRequest()-method would certenly explain the behavior described above... The postback "page" doesnt really exist, it is just code that executes and then sends me along to a real page that does exist. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Question 1
In order to get the trackback link I should not click on it. I have to view the page source, find the trackback link and copy the actual link from there?

Question 2
If the answer to 1 is "yes", then wouldnt it be nice if BlogEngine.Net had a more "blogger freindly" way of exposing the trackback url? Could be as easy as toggling the visibility of a label when clicking the trackback link (use a linkbutton instead?) and that label would contain the trackback URL. Might be something that falls under the "modify your own theme" category and not BlogEngine.Net development though...

Question 3
Where do I put the trackback url of another blog in BlogEngine.NET? The explanation given at Cruftbox suggest that there should be a field for that somewhere in my blog engine...

(I'm currently using build 2284)
Coordinator
May 14, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Jesfer, the trackback link have been removed from the Standard theme. I've done that because no one uses the trackback link when they link to a remote blog post. It isn't needed anyway but added it because dasBlog had it. It doesn't effect the way a trackback works.

When someone links to one of your blog posts, they will inspect the html of your page to find the RDF trackback link. You can see the RDF markup it in the html source code on your individual blog posts - not on the front-page. When the trackback url has been retrieved a trackback is sent to your blog where the trackback.axd intercepts it. It will then be added as a comment to that post.

That is also the way BlogEngine.NET sends trackbacks. You don't need to link to a specific trackback link, just a post with RDF tags. All the big blog engines support RDF tags. If no RDF tags is present, BlogEngine.NET will try to send a pingback instead.
May 15, 2007 at 3:57 PM
So... Lets say I find the post titled "Welcome to BlogEngine.Net" at http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/ very interesting and want to write about it on my own blog (powered by BlogEngine). Do I simply write my new entry and insert http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/post/Welcome-to-BlogEngineNET.aspx as a normal link anywhere in my entry and when I click "save" trackback will be handled automatically?

Looking at the code this seems to be how it works... but it is always nice to get it confirmed :)

And I might have spotted a bug if this is how it works.... In the SendTrackbacks method in Add_Entry.aspx.cs shouldnt this line:

trackbManager.Send(post.Title, post.Content, post.PermaLink.ToString(), "", "Blogname");

look something like this:

trackbManager.Send(post.Title, post.Content, post.PermaLink.ToString(), "", BlogSettings.Instance.Name);
Coordinator
May 15, 2007 at 4:52 PM
Jesfer, that is exactly how it works. We need to finish the last few things on trackbacks, including the Add_Entry implementation. It will be working shortly.
Coordinator
May 15, 2007 at 4:52 PM
...Pingbacks however works fine in the meantime.
Coordinator
May 20, 2007 at 10:44 PM
There is now full trackback support - both incoming and outgoing
May 23, 2007 at 8:57 AM
Sweet! I'll upgrade to the latest build asap :)