Access Denied Errors on WebHost4Life

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM
I was able to get the blog engine up and running on my shared hosting site at webhost4life.com but I cannot edit any posts. I have tried it through the web interface as well as windows live writer. I found the entry in the wiki which said to give the NETWORK SERVICE user full control. Doing this did not work for me. I also tried to give many other users permission but no luck. Is there any other guidance as far as permissions on the App_Data folder go?
Coordinator
May 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM
Edited May 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your WebHost4Life setup.

I use them for hosting and I know a few others I've worked with are setup there as well. My App_data folder has Administrator, System and Network Service with full permissions. Other users (Network, and my 2 IUsr names) are just listed with Read and Execute. When these are applied they should be set on all files and subfolders.

When you apply the permissions, it shows you all the files and folders it modifies. I'd guess it would give you an error in that text, if there was a problem.
May 29, 2007 at 4:14 PM

RazorAnt wrote:
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your WebHost4Life setup.

I use them for hosting and I know a few others I've worked with are setup there as well. My App_data folder has Administrator, System and Network Service with full permissions. Other users (Network, and my 2 IUsr names) are just listed with Read and Execute. When these are applied they should be set on all files and subfolders.

When you apply the permissions, it shows you all the files and folders it modifies. I'd guess it would give you an error in that text, if there was a problem.

I found the problem. It had to do with the permissions on individual files (post .xml files) I had uploaded from my development machine to my web host. For whatever reason the permissions I was applying were not being cascaded to these files.
Jun 10, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Hello,
I know that right now, the blog is pretty slick and simple. I hope it will stay like that, but do you think that you could add a very simple and basic page that will make sure that all the requirement needed to run the blog are fulfilled ? Right now, the only thing it would check is the fact that we have given the correct rights to the files...
Jun 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2007 at 11:07 PM
As I had "problems" too (using webhost4life too) I asked the support... The answer is:
For ASP.NET pages, please grant permission to "IUSR_your login" and "NETWORK SERVICE".
It works for me...