Importing from existing blogs

May 24, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Just wondering, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. Is it possible to import content from a previous blog (such as dasBlog?)
Coordinator
May 24, 2007 at 10:19 PM
Hi Dave, yes it is. There is a ClickOnce application in the admin section that imports from RSS including comments, images and file links. I've used it to copy my old blog from dasBlog to BlogEngine. You just need to go into the dasBlog settings and set the number of RSS items to minimum the number of posts you have. Then the application pulls all the content into BlogEngine. It takes 1 minute to do the import.
May 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Most excellent. Guess I'll have something to play with this weekend then.

How does it cope with the paths for images / references to existing posts?
Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 8:22 AM
From dasBlog it auto recovers them from the relative path of the images and files. You can manually set the path in the application, but it is set default to work with dasBlog so it should be easy for you.
May 25, 2007 at 9:16 AM
I gave it a try earlier today, and ran into a problem. it doesn't seem to cope with remapping pulling images from subfolders.

I use WindowsLiveWriter to add entries to my dasBlog blog. When adding an image using WLW, it creates and stores the images into /content/binary/WindowsLiveWriter/nameoftheblogpost/theimage.jpg etc...

During the import process, these images are picked up ok and copied into APP_DATA\files but the path in the post still has the subfolders in it.
Jun 14, 2007 at 1:16 PM

madskristensen wrote:
Hi Dave, yes it is. There is a ClickOnce application in the admin section that imports from RSS including comments, images and file links. I've used it to copy my old blog from dasBlog to BlogEngine. You just need to go into the dasBlog settings and set the number of RSS items to minimum the number of posts you have. Then the application pulls all the content into BlogEngine. It takes 1 minute to do the import.

How does it handle migration of multiple users? I have an existing DasBlog-system running with about 15 users/contributors - does the import-tool support this?
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2007 at 11:28 PM
it wont think so. it has only been tested for one user but you can change it afterwards
Jun 21, 2007 at 1:02 AM
Hello,
I used you tool to import posts from wordpress. It's working nicely except that comments are not imported... any idea of how I should proceed? Thanks...
Jul 8, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2007 at 6:48 PM
knipjo, were you able to import comments yet?

I'm potentially moving two WordPress blogs over, both of which have a large number of comments ...

UPDATE: Also, how did you go about importing this? I'm using the Export feature of WordPress, but I seem to be running into issues when I try to run the BlogEngine Import App ...
Jul 8, 2007 at 10:16 PM
hello,
no, importing comments didn't work for me. as we don't have the tools source I can't know what is wrong. only madskristensen can tell and he didn't say for now. Also, it seems that he is in vacation right now. So, we'll see when he comes back.
At least I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the WP export feature. it's working trough the rss feed of your web site.

What kind of troubles are you running into?
Jul 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Well, I'm using WordPress's 'new' Export feature.

When I save the resulting XML file out to a server, and try to run the Import utility, it states that there are 0 records.

So ... is this the method you used?

Thanks!

~James
Jul 8, 2007 at 11:35 PM
Absolutely not :)
I'm sorry but maybe I did not understand what you are talking about...
I was talking about the beta import tool found in admin/pages/Settings.aspx

I click on the link. It downloads and installs the importer trought clickonce (have .net 2.0 on your computer and use internet explorer when you clic on the link)

The tools launches, fill out the different fields and make it point to the rss feed of the blog you wanna import.
for example: http://www.domain.com/index.php/feed/

Give them the credentiels to the blog you want to import the posts into. et voila.

To get more then 10 posts, go to the WP admin section and set the number of posts in the feed to the number of posts you have in your blog.

Sorry if I'm not clear. I'm not a native english as you might have guessed. Let me know what is not clear and I try to give you more details ;)

John.
Jul 8, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Cancel the below - it's working fine now, once I followed your suggestion.

Thanks John!

Was:

[Okay, I've got the file validating now - it was an issue with the XML file and illegal/unknown characters. Pulling the file up in Firefox showed this fact. Durr ...

The issue now is that supposedly the username and password are incorrect. I've confirmed that they are correct (from what BlogEngine is using, correct?)

I'm logged in as the user I want the posts to be attributed to, but there are two users on the blog I'm trying to import to; the user that I want these attributed to is listed second in the users.xml file.

However, even if I remove the first user, so that only the one user remains, it still doesn't work.

What does "Image/File Path" refer to? If I don't want images downloaded, should I worry about filling this out? (I'm not even attempting to download comments either.)

Any ideas?]
Jul 9, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Great news,
I'm glad I could help.
See you around.
The project is just starting, I bet there is much more fun still to come ;)
Jul 25, 2007 at 6:37 AM
I used the import tool yesterday to import entries from another existing blog. But as some of you have noticed, the comments were not imported ... they are not in the RSS-feed, so it kindda makes sense.

But does the tool support importing comments as well? I have tried to find some documentation of the required format for this, but I haven't found it yet.

Can you guys clarify this?

Thanks,

Jesper Lund Stocholm
Jul 27, 2007 at 3:57 PM
Today I tried to import entries and comments from another installation of BlogEngine.Net and it imported the comments as well. BlogEngine implements CommentRSS in the feed, and I suppose this means that if the blog implements CommentRSS - these comments will be imported as well. I will implement CommentRSS in my own blog in a few days to be able to verify this.

I will keep you posted ... unless Mads beats me to it :o)
Aug 16, 2007 at 4:05 PM
I just wanted to let you know - as promised - that I successfully imported the content of another blog using the importer tool. I implemented the RSS-feed as it is on BlogEngine.Net itself - with CommentRSS-addition - and it worked like a charm with pictures and everything :-)

An example of the RSS-feed can be seen here:

http://blog.lundstocholm.dk/rss/?type=10

One thing I'd like to have in the tool is a log of the import. I can see that a couple of entries was lost during the import - but I have no clue to why. A log would help a lot here. Also, importing entries with quotes in the title imports fine - but the entry cannot be loaded afterwards because of these quotes (page not found). It would be nice if the importer could replace the quotes with glyphs for a smooth transition.
Aug 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM
Did anybody migrate from Subtext? Just curious if it went well, I'll be giving it a shot this weekend.

Cheers,
Matei
Aug 17, 2007 at 4:40 PM
Take a look. It has worked with me. There are some bugs but the posts and comments are beeing imported. :)

http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3055
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:20 AM
hi,

i'm also trying to get my WP blog imported into this BE.Net. but unfortunatly, having same commnents issue.

my blog is located at www.orison.biz/blogs/chall3ng3r/ using WP1.5. i made a copy of it in my VM for testing the transform process from WP to BE.Net.

i was able to get my posts in BE.Net, but without any comments. i found that there was a small bug in WP1.5 with wfw:commentRss, i manually fixed it. but still not able to import comments. finnaly i upgraded my local WP blog to WP2.2.3. and tried the import again, but still no luck.

also, some of my posts' title include special characters, and in WP, its called as ?p=110, but in BE.Net, post is called byu its title, and on some imported posts i get 404, or invalid character errors. does BE.Net supports special characters in post's title? i think it should replace these with "-" or similar character to avoid errors.

there are 138 posts in my blog, but at post 125, the importer tool gives me error "incorrect user name of password". 124 posts are imported, but i'm unable to get all of them.

i'm still looking forward for any help in converting my WP based blog to BE.Net.

thanks in adv.

// chall3ng3r //