MSSQLBlogProvider DB Schema

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jun 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Hi, BlogEngine.NET looks like a really great application. I am interested in using the MSSQLBlogProvider with SQL Server 2005 as the DB to store blog posts.
Do you have a DB script to generate the necessary database tables (like bepostcomment, beCategories etc.) or a DB schema so that I can create the tables myself?
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM
I'm sorry this has not been published already. I got ill shortly after the 1.0 release and I'm still struggling with it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to post it later this week or this weekend along with a pile of changes that I need to get pushed out. (I've got a few items ahead of this on the priority list, but I promise to make it available soon.)

I'm truly sorry this is not available yet.
Jun 24, 2007 at 2:37 AM
Any update on this yet? Is there anyway we can help?

-c
Jun 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM
Just an update from me - I've almost finished a SQL XML Provider that simply stores that already nicely formatted XML inside a MSSQL database rather than creating an entire new schema, very simple. Just a key/value table and something to store the other independent settings.

If anyone wants it I'll post it.

-c
Jun 24, 2007 at 8:40 PM

typemismatch wrote:
Any update on this yet? Is there anyway we can help?

-c

On the wiki found here http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/wiki/SQLServerBlogProvider.ashx it has a link to 1.0.0.0 table creation script (http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/file.axd?file=BlogEngine.NET_1.0.0.0_Setup.sql)
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2007 at 11:03 PM
I have a new schema for the current build which is a bit different than the 1.0 release. I'll try to get it included in a build tonight or tomorrow.

There were some bugs in the 1.0 MSSQL provider so it would be best to use the latest code once I get the scheme included.
Jun 24, 2007 at 11:57 PM
It's just a right click and a left click to generate the script... stop holdin out on us razor =)
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM

chrixian wrote:
It's just a right click and a left click to generate the script... stop holdin out on us razor =)

You are absolutely correct. However, there is something or other practice known as testing or something. It continues to get in the way. :)

I'll get it included as is tonight when I check in. I've got a bunch of other updates as well.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2007 at 4:10 AM
OK. It is out there now. It is in the setup folder of the web site.
Jun 25, 2007 at 6:22 AM
Grabbin it now! Thanks rzr.
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:25 PM
Bah! Just finished my implementation of the SQL database and then find out you've gone and released something :P Thanks for the source update, will give me something concrete to work from.

Incidently I deviated a little from your design and moved all of the SQL commands into stored procedures residing on the database. Its just much more efficient to do it that way but has its pro's and con's from a coding perspective (if a requirement changes you have to go and phyiscally update the database) but I write SQL as a day job so I prefer it that way.

Also working on replacing the XMLMembership Provider with the SQLMembership Provider however seems there are a few caveats with the stock implementation that comes out of the box with .NET 2.0. Hoping to have this sorted soon though so I can start using the SQL Provider to handle all of the membership functionality.

Cheers,

Fz
Jun 26, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Hey,

I noticed things like the settings are not being pulled via the provider - did you change this for your SQL provider or are you still keeping those on disk?

thanks
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 1:20 AM

typemismatch wrote:

I noticed things like the settings are not being pulled via the provider - did you change this for your SQL provider or are you still keeping those on disk?

For version 1.0, the settings are not in the provider and therefore not in the table. If you get the latest code however, the settings are stored in the database.

I strongly recommend using the latest code over the 1.0 release for the SQL provider as the 1.0 release does have some known bugs in the SQL provider. (Besides, it will be easier to start with your settings in SQL instead of moving them over later for the official release of 1.1.)
Jul 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM
I actually modified the 1.1 DB schema to include a source table and modified that other tables to reference the source, that allows me to store content for different sites in the same hosted database tables. I created my own SqlBlogProvider class to interact with the schema and wrote stored procs for the CRUD operations. I can post it if anyone wants it.