Integrating into existing web applications

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Jun 7, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Hi, I like what I see so far in this Blog Engine.

However, I see a few problems. The themes don't integrate well if you have an exising application using the App_Themes folder. Also, Skins don't seem to work inside a blog theme.

Another issue is that in general the blog "IS" the application. This makes it tough to use with an existing application or CMS. I currently have a CMS which is providing sitemap for me already. I don't really need the blog engine to do that. Also the blog engine is often redirectiing to "default.aspx".

So I have some proposals:

• Make the "default.aspx" redirection configurable. So that my main blog page could be called "blog.aspx" for example
  • Have true separation of concerns. In other words, although the blog engine is separated from the web site implmentation, some things seem to be expected. What I would like is to be able to create a blog site from scratch using my own pages, AppThemes, and sitemaps. It seems that using blogbase_page won't allow this easily.
  • Have some of the HttpModules optional as they may conflict with other httpModules and/or Httphandlers that I have running

So In short, I'd like to see it more "componetized", so that I can construct a blog inside an existing application and not have to build my application inside the blog application.

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Hi Trevor, that is a good point you make. I'll talk to the team about this and see if we can come up with a solution for the next release. It will not be easy for sure, but let me see what I can do.
Sep 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM
Also very impressed with Blog Engine software. However, I'm having the same problem with redirects to default.aspx when integrating with an existing web site. Is there any easy way to change this redirection in Blog Engine? Also wondering if anybody came up with a workaround?

Thanks,
David

madskristensen wrote:
Hi Trevor, that is a good point you make. I'll talk to the team about this and see if we can come up with a solution for the next release. It will not be easy for sure, but let me see what I can do.