trouble with pulling posts out?

Topics: Controls
Jun 16, 2007 at 4:22 PM
Ok, I have this set up on my staging IIS7 server; can't face putting it live (on IIS6) as no doubt that's going to be another joyful IIS scrabble.

Everything seems to work ok, except I can't get the tag cloud/ authors/ categories action items to work. That is, they all work fine, with the posts being listed in them and all that, but when I click on any of those I get a page refresh, then no blogs listed/ no error message. I guess I can hide those things in the CSS, but it's a shame as they look like they should work.

The direct links to the posts work, the "home page" works, and the calendar/ archive menu things all work as expected, it's just these other ones which don't. Is there something which those do which the other stuff doesn't do, and therefore which must be broken?

Search does work.

All this is true irrespective of if I'm logged in or out. Any thoughts welcome.
Jun 16, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Just to make sure I understand what you're saying... assuming the standard template is being used, along the right side of the screen within the Tags section you click a tag, a list of posts with that tag is displayed, when you click on a post it isn't taking you to that post?
Jun 17, 2007 at 9:10 AM
Edited Jun 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM
It all works ok on the default page. If I click on the calendar with a date with some posts, they're listed in a div called "ctl00cphBodyPostList1_posts"
The "recent posts" links all work fine, showing the post and allowing you to comment etc.
The "archive" link works as expected.

What doesn't work is the "tag cloud" and the "categories" links - both of those bring up a "post list" DIV which is empty. In fact neither this not the (normally empty) "postPaging" div are closed correctly

All this tested with the standard template (although it also happens with my own version which is based on a hack of that).

... assuming the standard template is being used, along the right side of the screen within the Tags section you click a tag, a list of posts with that tag is displayed, when you click on a post it isn't taking you to that post?

Not quite. With the standard template, I click a tag, and the page refreshes but I get the two empty DIVs as above: there is no post list displayed. This is also true for my category links.

I'm guessing that's not a known defect, so it must be something specific to my (IIS7/ Vista Business) install. I guess I will need to get it where people can see it if I'm to get much help with it, so I'll try to deploy it somewhere... the live servers I have for this are IIS6, so if the problem goes away, at least I'll know it's specific to the install I have right here on IIS7.

I just wonder... as the calendar search works ok, does it use different logic for the categories and tag searches, and in what way could those fail... my "permissions" should be ok, or at least I'd be surprised if one type of search is broken but the other works.. Odd.

Thanks for your interest anyway... if all else fails, I'll bleat once I've managed to install it on IIS6/ live ;-)

cheers

(still on the iis7 version for now... but I noticed that if I click the tags at the foot of a post, then those don't work either... well they refresh the page, but no posts appear. I have to learn the VS environment thing anyway, but maybe debugging this isn't the best place to start ;-) )