Settings - Email - Gmail

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:13 AM
Has anyone managed to use their gmail account with BlogEngine.NET? No matter what settings I try I always get "Could not connect" :( I'm starting to think that it might have somethingto do with gmail requiering a SSL connection... Any pointers on how to get it to work are welcome :)

/jesfer
Jun 21, 2007 at 1:34 AM
Hello,
AFAIK, google requires specifics ports, pop 995, smtp 465 and SSL of course...
I guess that blogengine is just using standard settings that are not enought for google...
Jul 19, 2007 at 4:42 PM
Any update on this?
Jul 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM
Nope, I know the team is currently updating it's roadmap. They know the problem has been reported. We have to wait for now and see what it gives or do it ourselves.
ps:I'm not part of the team ;)
Jul 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM
Hello, I've done some digging and I just submitted a patch to solve that problem.
It adds an Enable SSL checkbox to the smtp settings section.

The parameters you will have to use are the following:

E-mail address : name@domain.com (use a real working one as gmail does not allow forwarding, except using the "on your behalf feature(not tested)"
SMTP server : smtp.gmail.com
Port number : 587 (gmail is using port 445 trought 587, but only 587 did work for me)
Enable SSL : true
Username : your gmail email addres : name@gmail.com
Password : your gmail password (note that it is not encrypted in the settings.xml file)
Send comment e-mail : does not matter

My first patch, hopefully I did not mess up things. If you want the modified files send to you zipped until it gets integrated to the source, let me know.

In case you know how to apply a patch, get it here:
http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Project/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=16076
Jul 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM
Re: password - it's not 'encrypted' on the Settings admin page either. I can deal with it not being encrypted in the XML file, but it would be nice if it was at least 'hidden' when viewing the Settings page.

Thanks knipjo! I'd definitely like to get a copy of that zip, if you don't mind: strivinglife at gmail.com
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2007 at 9:36 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.