Why does submissions not take at times?

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:04 AM
OK, so I'm digging through BE, and there are many times when I click a button (save post, save settings, etc...) and it doesn't save. It comes right back to the page with the old settings still there.

I'd really like to have this SQL based, and I saw a post where it was mentioned this is possible... how? How would I convert this from XML to SQL? Where is the tool at that was referenced in the post to do this automatically?
Jun 24, 2007 at 3:50 AM
So I see that the issue isn't really it not updating, but the page not getting the latest values from the xml document. Any ideas?
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM

ckincincy wrote:
I'd really like to have this SQL based, and I saw a post where it was mentioned this is possible... how? How would I convert this from XML to SQL? Where is the tool at that was referenced in the post to do this automatically?

The tool that I've used to do this isn't really a tool, but a code hack. (I basically make a third provider that used the XML read code and the SQL write code. I set this as the default provider and when the blog started up, it posted all my XML stuff to SQL. I think switched my provider to SQL.)

I'd like to make this into more of a proper tool, but I've got a few other tasks on my plate right now. I do have this on the list and if I can get to it before Mads gets back from his vacation, it will be in the 1.1 release.
Jun 25, 2007 at 3:00 AM
RazorAnt,
I'm still trying to get my head around your work flow and such, but I'm a C# developer and would gladly help where ever needed...

Whenever you get the SQL stuff together that would be great, the XML does seem a bit flaky at times. I think it may be better to have an access db backend (gasp!!) and a MS SQL backend and drop the xml. The other two are pretty compatible and would allow for folks without MS SQL to still use the blog.

- Clarence
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Hi Clarence,

Interesting that you'd prefer MS Access to XML. (I've used Access as a backend for a website before, but it is not ideal.) I haven't heard much talk about using Access, but you are right, it should be similar and easy to do.

I really like the XML provider and find it better than SQL Server for many instances. (SQL Server hosting is more expensive and I've had a bit of trouble with my hosted SQL Server going down with some hosting providers. So far, WebHost4Life is doing ok.) I'd guess there are more fans of the XML provider than a SQL provider overall.

Also, I believe someone is working on a MySQL provider which would allow a cheaper database option.

Al