sign in link problem

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:14 AM
Hi,
I installed the compiled BlogEngine.NET and it seems to work great. The only issue, when the user clicks the 'sign in' link, they are forwarded to "admin/login.aspx" and given a 404 because the login.aspx script is in the the root of the application. If I manually go to ./login.aspx it logs me in, but then re-displays the login form. I even make sure to keep the "redirect" tag in the URL. I can see I've authenticated as the Administrator menus appears, but I think it may confuse people.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Daniel
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:53 PM
Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure exactly what you issue is, but I'm willing to try and help. It sounds like a config conflict to me. It is the first thing I'd check.

The signin link on the pages (for the default themes anyway) is actually an ASP.NET LoginStatus control. The LoginStatus control gets the login page from the web.config. If the web.config doesn't specify it (and BlogEngine.NET doesn't), it goes to ~/Login.aspx . At least, this is my understanding.

I'd wonder if you have another web.config file below it in the directory structure that specifics a loginurl.

One thing you could try would be to add the loginUrl attribute in the web.config and set it to the correct location.

Let me know if this helps.
Jun 29, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Hi RazorAnt,

you were absolutely right. A web.config in the root directory had a <forms> declaration.

Should this happen to anyone else, all that needs to be edited is line 32(ish) that starts :
<forms timeout=... />

add this bit to the line: loginUrl="~/login.aspx"

Thank you so much!

Daniel
Oct 3, 2007 at 7:07 PM

aperomedia wrote:
Hi RazorAnt,

you were absolutely right. A web.config in the root directory had a <forms> declaration.

Should this happen to anyone else, all that needs to be edited is line 32(ish) that starts :
<forms timeout=... />

add this bit to the line: loginUrl="~/login.aspx"

Thank you so much!

Daniel

I am having a similar issue. Just got done downloading and setting up the application. I load up the default page without any issue or errors. But when I click on the sign in link at the bottom of the page, the page just scrolls back up to the very top and nothing else happens.

I already had the line of code you referred to in my web config file. Not sure if I did something wrong. I am running this on windows XP latest patches etc.

I edited the users.xml file and even when I type the URL of the login.aspx page and try to login in there it does essentially the same thing. Reloads page...and does not throw an error or anything. It is like the data is not being posted correctly.

Any ideas?
Oct 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM
FYI - it is a permissions issue in the APP_Data dir, I also needed to stop/start the web service to make sure the permissions were applied....either that or a reboot once the permissions are applied should do the trick.