BlogEngine incorporation into web site

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 30, 2007 at 3:22 AM
I have a personal website, and I want to incorporate this engine into my site. What suggestions and guidelines do you have for making that successful? Can I just create a directory under my main site directory, move the web.config entries into the main web.config, and see what happens? Or should I rename the default page and incorporate these pages directly into my site?

Any suggestions or documentation available on this topic?
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2007 at 2:51 AM
It is something I've been thinking of recently as well. I've been thinking about my family site and updating the journal with BlogEngine.NET.

My thoughts are as follows:

If your personal web site is basically your blog and a few other pages, you could use the pages feature of BlogEngine.NET and just let BlogEngine.NET run the site for you.

Otherwise, it is likely best to put BlogEngine.NET in a subfolder and run it from there. There may be some web.config conflict you'll need to resolve, but they are not too common and fairly easy to figure out.

My thinking is that if you want to upgrade BlogEngine.NET to take advantage of the new features, it will need to be the same basic core. If you dig into the code and make a bunch of changes to incorporate your personal web site functionality, you will not be able to upgrade easily without merging your changes into each new release.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing other takes if anyone else has been thinking about it as well.
Jul 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM
I have created a new page to start looking at that functionality, and it appears to have added it to the pages table, but I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know how to get it in the list on the left of the home page (I'm using the leaves theme).

I can just add an aspx page and add an entry to the list of the site master page, but then I still have the sidebar area. I've never used a "theme" master page before, so I'll have to figure out how to change the new aspx page to use a different master page, or probably create a new theme. Something like an About page would look ok in that amount of space (the center column), but something like a resume doesn't give you enough room to make it look ok.