Great project...a couple of questions

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jul 4, 2007 at 4:57 AM
Edited Jul 4, 2007 at 4:59 AM
Excellent project. Cool to see a fresh Blog engine on a clean code base in ASP.Net 2.0

After a quick bash running off the latest source, could I vote for a few extra timezones in the settings form? Like (GMT+07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta please.

Slugs for urls - yes please!!! - would be nice to be able to control the url just in case. Could there be an option to not use hyphens as well? Just removing the spaces between words in the title.

I'm assuming that at some point there will be an 'Edit' user option? In addition to Delete?

Does the post content (HTML/XHTML) need to be validated before it is assigned to the RssItem description of a feed? Or does TinyMCE take care of this? Not sure here - not an expert - but I've seen this done elsewhere.

Is there a developer mail list? Or is everything run through Codeplex discussion?

Eagerly await the next release... :-)
Jul 8, 2007 at 3:41 PM
Hello,
Everything run through Codeplex discussion :)
I suggest that you try to post separate request entries in the issue tracker for all the issues you raize here.

I agree with you on all of them ;)
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM
For some reason I didn't notice that timezones are missing. They will all be added ASAP.
Slugs will be added soon as well. I hope to have it in the next release, but I'm not sure it will make it.
Edit user will be there soon.
TinyMCE makes sure to validate and correct the markup before it is saved. After that, no other change is made to the content.
As knipjo says, all discussions are through codeplex, but we are considering setting up a mailing list.
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM
I was first on timezone, I reported missing time zones here:
http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=11266
I'm just kidding you guys, ok? :)

About the mailing list, it's a mater of choice, but I don't like them. I only find them usefull for the projects developpers. Not for us (read me). I prefer a forum like that (even if this one misses some fetaures) because I prefer to choose at which subjects I subscribe. I do not want to gte updates about all the ongoing conversations. Also, I find it hard to get updates on problems that happened some time ago. But, anyway, I guess that everybody must have a different point of view about that ;)

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Mads. Sounds great. And your discovery of the missing Timezones has been duly noted knipjo... :-)
Jul 10, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Waters99 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mads. Sounds great. And your discovery of the missing Timezones has been duly noted knipjo... :-)

Yes... Knipjo... 3 points ;)
Jul 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM
Just to add some more complexity - I tried to add the timezone I live in (Central Australian Standard Time - UTC+9.5). This caused settings.aspx to throw this FormatException:

Line 68: BlogSettings.Instance.Timezone = int.Parse(ddlTimezone.SelectedValue, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

There is quite a few timezones in the world that use half hours increments.

Has this been addressed yet ? I am working from the current release version. Happy to lend a hand if you want.

Cheers,

Leo
Jul 19, 2007 at 9:57 AM
Hello,
This has not yet been addressed. I can't speak for the team, but I know that they are still some timezones missing and that this is on the todo list.
Would it be enought to handle it like windows does? They add only a couple of half hours...
They have -3:30 Newfoundland, +4:30 Kabul, +5:30 Chennai and others, +5:45 Kathmandu, +6:30 Rangoon, +9:30 Adelaide, Darwin
Let's see what the team thinks about it ;)
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM
leogaggl and knipjo. I will add the missing "half" timezones in the weekend.