updating 1.0 -> 1.1

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2007 at 2:11 PM
Apologies if this is written down somewhere, but I can't find it.

I need to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1. I tried to follow the wiki instructions, so I...

(a) backed up my "BlogEngine" folder (which was working fine).
(b) deleted the contents of the old blog engine subdirectory
(c) replaced those contents it with the contents of the 1.1 zip package.
(d) copy my backed-up Add_Data folder over the top of the one in my web server.

I can now get to the blog, but all my posts are gone, and my users are too.

--- update ----
I just found all my posts - I'd copied the AppData stuff into my "root" AppData folder Doh!

Ok, so the posts are all there and that's hunky dory. I have the "you have only one thing to do" text somewhere on the page, so there's another step to do, but I'm nearly there and it's all good. So far. I'll post the idiot-guide to the wiki once the idiot has finished this.
Jul 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM
Ok, I spoke too soon.

Here's an extra step for a start:

(e) As you overwrite your App_Data folder if you follow the above, you will have to re-apply the security settings (read/write, users and network service) to that directory.

I'm getting odd behaviour though.. the main page sort of looks ok - I can see the various titles and headers and things (the format is kind of screwed up but I presume some styles changed so I'll have to tweak my theme). I can even read the new "welcome user" post on that page, and see that plus all my old posts listed. Then I click on a post, any post, and I get a 404 "page not found" error. Most of the other stuff seems to work - it's the post view thing which seems broken. Eg:
"Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Requested URL: /BlogEngine/post/Welcome-to-BlogEngineNET.aspx"

I'm not sure quite what the system's doing there - why is it looking in the wrong place? My posts are all coded up rather differently, so the thing which catches that url and translates it is presumably absent, or failing, or something? This must be something I missed in the upgrade... any ideas?
Jul 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM
Actually, I think you missed a step.

Per ... somewhere on this site, you want to verify that your settings file contains any new settings as well.

So, what I did was keep the App_Data folder. I overwrote every other folder with the new folders/files (yes, it would have been better to delete the folders, so that any old files that are no longer used are removed - which is what I'll do next time).

I then used WinMerge to compare my settings file with the new 1.1 settings file.

Unfortunately, it wasn't very easy to determine which settings were new, ..., so comparing a 1.0 with a 1.1 file (defaults) would probably have been better (again, something for next time).

The best part about this is that it preserves the security settings.

As for the old posts ... I've found that recycling the application pool seems to clear up the issue.
Jul 19, 2007 at 5:00 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Thanks... Tried the application pool recycling (who thinks up these names?). No soap with that. I think I have a bigger problem than the settings, so I thought that I'd keep it simple, so I ripped the whole thing out and did a clean install. That doesn't work either, so that's a pain.

This is IIS7 / Vista... anyone made that work?

Well it sort-of works... I can get to the root page of the blog, but the styles are all missing (as they were with the upgrade installation I tried above). The "css.axd" file is somehow being used to read the standard theme's CSS file, and it's bogging it up. The HTTP request is getting a 404. So google tells me that "axd" is a "web resource", which sounds right.

(I just checked the "handler mappings" and axd is in there as IspiModule, both for the web app and the server itself. Hmm)
Jul 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM
Ok, it's the old application -pool classic mode business: switch it to that and it works ok, plain vanilla at least. I will persevere then fix the wiki...