Blogroll feeds randomly shows -Trust Level related?

Topics: Controls
Jul 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2007 at 1:17 AM
In the pursuit of 'building' the entire website around the engine (multiple instances), I'm running into the following behavior:

The blogroll feeds are sometimes showing and sometimes not. The actual RSS/feed name/site is always displayed, but the posts from the feeds simply either -show all or show nothing- randomly. This is pretty important, because I'm using this blogroll feature as a replacement of the RecentBlogs so configuring the entries with "internal" rss feeds (e.g. mydomain.com/EngineInstance1/syndication.axd) as well instead of external feeds feeds (e.g. feedburned ones) only.

I even managed (not that I planned) to prevent showing any feeds at all consistently, apparently caused by setting the Trust Level to 'medium' (cause my external ISP/hoster doesn't allow 'High'). I've changed it on our development environment again to 'High' and I get the random behavior again. Anyone who can explain this behavior or even better: have solutions?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more clarification.
--Mike

BTW: the reason why I use the blogroll feature instead of the RecentPosts, is because I like the flexibility of the blogroll and it's feature to trim/limit the amount of characters for the PostTitle.
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM
The first time the blogroll loads, it doesn't show the rss items. That is because it retrieves the rss feeds asynchronously behind the scene. As soon as an RSS feed is parsed it will appear under the main link. This will happen everytime the appliation starts.
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Medium trust doesn't allow the rss feeds to be retrieved because no http requests are allowed in medium trust. However, some hosting providers have allowed http requests while still running in medium trust
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM
Thanks for your clarification. I noticed indeed that it only happened when the application restarts, but also every after 5 minutes (haven't timed it exactly). Now I didn't think the application would be restarted every 5 minutes (perhaps 20 minutes due to default session timeout). So our developed played somewhat with IIS settings in the application pool of the development environment (specially the rapid fail-back setting). Seems like this application restart behavior is caused by that setting. Now we control the development environment, but production is outsourced to an ISP (shared), so no control there.

Best thing we can do is have a WebMon tool ping/check the production applications every 4 minutes or so. Thanks again, it gave us some insights. Talking about insights, this is the name (¡nSights) of an upcoming section on our company's website. I'll have our main developer write an article about how we 'pushed' BlogEngine.net to become a ContentEngine as well and seamlessly integrated it. I'll post a new topic on this forum once it's there (which might take a while since there is an extensive to-do list).

madskristensen wrote:
The first time the blogroll loads, it doesn't show the rss items. That is because it retrieves the rss feeds asynchronously behind the scene. As soon as an RSS feed is parsed it will appear under the main link. This will happen everytime the appliation starts.