Feature Requests

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:35 PM
Just a couple of feature requests, having recently used BlogEngine 1.1 to create a site. I made my own theme, and wanted to avoid customising anything outside the themes folder to make future upgrading easier. I'm not an experienced ASP.NET developer so I might be missing a better way to do it on some of these. Here's the three things I had to edit Default.aspx and Page.aspx to achieve. If BlogEngine could be updated to allow these there do be configured in settings or as part of a theme that would be very cool.

• In Page.aspx I had to remove the <h1>title</h1> because I wanted to have greater control over the appearance of my static page titles (using span tags to alternate text colour)
  • I wanted the home page of my website to be a static page, not a list of blog posts. I did this by adding a redirect into the Page_Load of the default.aspx. A bit of a hack but it worked for me (although caused some infinite redirect loops until I got the URL right)
else if (Request.QueryString.Count == 0 || !string.IsNullOrEmpty(Request.QueryString["page"]))
{
        Response.Redirect("page/welcome.aspx"); 
  • I wanted an introductory paragraph whenever you pulled up a category page. I did this by adding a new div tag to Page.aspx above the PostList: <div runat="server" id="divSummary" />. Then I populated it in the DisplayCategories function with hardcoded HTML, but obviously it would be much nicer if you could enter some it as an optional field on the categories settings page:
 if(CategoryDictionary.Instance[categoryId] == "Photos") {
   divSummary.InnerHtml = "<h1>Photos</h1>" +
   "<p>Click on a photo to enlarge it.</p>";            
} 

Anyway thanks to all on the BlogEngine team for your great work.

Mark
Aug 2, 2007 at 10:33 PM
Mark, I like the idea have having a default "page" or "blog entry" that you can select and have it render as the first page. I myselft want to have a "Welcome Page" so people going to my site the first time would have an idea of what they are getting into. However, a page is doable without tremendous effort.

You can can define H1 in your style sheet to render it however you want.

I am wondering if the "introductory paragraph" idea is a little too specific to you. Is there anyone else out there who is looking for something like this? The only other simple solution would be give each category a name and description field. If the page is rendered via a category the description would then be posted on the top of the page. Would this take care of this?
Aug 3, 2007 at 7:13 AM

You can can define H1 in your style sheet to render it however you want.

Yes, but in this case I was doing one of those styles where each word in the title gets coloured differently. You can do this with code-behind for a Post, but not for a page, because the Page title isn't part of the theme.

I am wondering if the "introductory paragraph" idea is a little too specific to you. Is there anyone else out there who is looking for something like this? The only other simple solution would be give each category a name and description field. If the page is rendered via a category the description would then be posted on the top of the page. Would this take care of this?

that's exactly what I meant. Allow a "description" to be entered for each category, preferably with a nice editor to allow bold, italics, heading etc. When the user pulls up a category page, it is displayed above any posts. If description is blank, then obviously things are displayed exactly as they are currently.
Aug 6, 2007 at 11:12 AM
I have been looking for .net blog for last 1 week. Now i found BlogEngine.Net 1.1 to be the best suitable to my requirement.

Now i need help to integrate this BlogEngine.Net in my existing website. Your little help with the code or tutorials will be highly appreciated.

Thanx in Advance.