MT4 Open Source

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:28 PM
Movable Type 4 is now open source. Never used it in the past and just tried it out. It has a lot of nice features. I thought there might be some ideas there for use in this .NET project. I would much rather us .NET than Perl or PHP.
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM
Are there any particular features you would like BlogEngine to have that MT has?
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:39 PM
There quite a few that looked interesting. I didn't make a list or anything. But right off the top of my head...

Template editor - which also lets you customize, copy, and edit existing inside the admin console.

Asset mananger for uploads - has real-time preview, etc.

Styles manager - lets plug in online repositories for templates, which download info and screenshot... you can select a theme and it will be updated.

Stats - has graphical stats for comment, entries, etc

Users/Roles - Lets you turn on/off registration and set default user permission or tweak in admin per user

Multi Blog - create/manage multi- blogs, users from single admin

System options - can't remember these off the top of my head, but it had a lot of customizable options... some good, some I didn't really care about. But you could set at the system level, or blog level.

Also from WP - I personally like the dynamic widgets... where you can create sidebar items and move them up/down via drag/drop in the admin.

I program in .NET and wouldn't have a problem going under the hood to customize things a bit. But being a developer, as you know, we always have a hundred other things going on. I personally would view this application from a general user standpoint. I would want something that is plug/play with the features built-in so I can focus on my day-to-day stuff. Just my 2 cents.

I do like what I see so far. Keep up the good work. I am finally glad to see an open source .NET solution for blogging. The whole community server is way to bloated, focusing too much on providing a community solution for enterprise level clients, versus just focusing on blogging. The whole SubText and DasBlog, I don't like at all. And again I don't really like running Perl or PHP for the non .NET on an IIS6 production server because of poor performance.

madskristensen wrote:
Are there any particular features you would like BlogEngine to have that MT has?

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Just another note on the Multi-Blog. If something like this were implemented. I would keep the system as a single instance data and the blog data on a per user basis. Per User Blog data and System could be configured to reside in same DB or seperate DB. Just point to where it resides.

Good for controlling smaller, faster backups and scaling the system to large user base across machines. Plus uses same code base, so you don't have to setup and manage a lot of different site in IIS.

System Admin could be configured to access via subdirectory on the site or it's own host header for the IIS Website:
Example:
1. www.AnyOfMyBlogUrls.com/system-admin (directory)
2. system-admin.AnyOfMyBlogUrls.com (own host header)
- points to a database, and tables with blog system data

Blogs could be configured with different host headers under the same IIS Website, which would have their own per blog info:
Example:
1. www.MyBlog1.com/ (blog instance)
www.MyBlog1.com/admin (blog instance admin ... not system)
- points to a database, and tables with certain naming prefix for per blog data

1. www.MyBlog1.com/ (blog instance)
www.MyBlog1.com/admin (blog instance admin ... not system)
- points to a database, and tables with certain naming prefix for per blog data

All this internal routing could be done using IIS Rewrite based on Request Host header.

Kind of quick, but you should get the point.