Blog Only?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM
I've used Community Server before, and it wants to rule the world and control everything in your site... is BE capable of leaving the rest of the site alone - Master Pages, CSS etc. - and just providing a Blog? How would I install it to accomplish that goal? Install at the root or in its own folder? Any pointers/guidance gratefully appreciated as I'd like to get this phase of my project rolling today! TIA!
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Just install it in it's own folder and make it an application on the IIS and you're ready to go.
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Thanks, mads... I'll let you know how it goes for me!
Aug 14, 2007 at 3:38 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM
Okay, I've downloaded, unzipped, installed, FTP'd and made the directory an application in IIS locally (Vista/IIS7). On the host side ()GoDaddy), I've set the permissions for both the blog directory and the App_Data directory to include everything except Reset per messages I've read in these forums. Unfortunately, I'm still not successful... neither locally nor remotely.

Locally, I get a configuration error that says: Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. and refers me to ...\blog\web.config.

Remotely, I get a different configuration error that states: Parser Error Message: This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the site administrator has locked access to this section using <location allowOverride="false"> from an inherited configuration file. -- now I saw something about this in the forums and the OP mentioned something about commenting out that trust line. I'm going to try that and see what happens.

What am I doing wrong?

NOTE: I just made that change to the web.config file -- and lo and behold, I now have a blog page!!!! Hooray!
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2007 at 5:14 PM
It might be the <trust> section in the web.config that is causing the error.
Aug 14, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Hi Bruce,

Looks like you are having a shared hosting account and generally "machineKey" and "trust" configuration is not allowed at virtual directory level.

It is unlikely that GoDaddy will set the custom trust policy to allow you to do these changes.

Mads Kristensen:
BlogEngine.Net is awesome, it's simple and customizable. Great work!!!
Are you planning to make it work with Medium trust, as majority of hosting accounts runs only under Medium trust config. There is some customization done by hosting companies to allow webrequest(RSS, etc) but things like Reflection are strictly prohibited.

So people with Full trust configuration or who has access to the server will be using BlogEngine.Net but majority of the community will not be able to use this great software.

Do you have plans to make it work on medium trust configuraion?
Aug 14, 2007 at 7:02 PM

sachinjo wrote:

It is unlikely that GoDaddy will set the custom trust policy to allow you to do these changes.

You're right, sachinjo... GoDaddy isn't about to change for me. However, by commenting out the "trust" line in web.config, it seems to work!

:)

So people with Full trust configuration or who has access to the server will be using BlogEngine.Net but majority of the community will not be able to use this great software.

Do you have plans to make it work on medium trust configuraion?

No "plans" -- it IS working!!!

Mads Kristensen:
BlogEngine.Net is awesome, it's simple and customizable. Great work!!!

Thanks, Mads -- I'm starting to agree with you - in a matter of a few hours I already have a working blog, and I'm already working on a custom theme to coordinate with the rest of the site!