upgrade from 1.5 -> 1.6 with SQL dB?

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Hi All: I have 1.5.0.7 running with SQL2005 and wanted to upgrade to 1.6. I created a new app in my web for testing and uploaded the 1.6 code. I also added the reCaptcha mods and verified everything was working (the reCaptcha mods are great!).

As a last step, I changed the blog provider from the default XML to dbBlogProvider using my db connection string, but after saving web.config I'm getting a 500 error on default.aspx. I have failed request tracing enabled, and the error doesn't seem to be very meaningful:

Notification EXECUTE_REQUEST_HANDLER ErrorCode The operation completed successfully. (0x0)

If I navigate to login.aspx directly, the page loads, but I see

"widget RecentPosts not found 
Invalid column name 'ModeratedBy'. Invalid column name 'Avatar'."

I have alread deleted the "extension manager" folder in App_code.

Do I need to update the dB when going from 1.5 to 1.6?

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Yes, you'll want to run the DB upgrade script in the Setup folder.  For SQL Server, it's the setup\SQLserver folder ... in there is the file named MSSQLUpgradeFrom1.5To1.6.sql.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Thanks, Ben!

Just a note...in the 1.6 "upgrading from an earlier version" instructions (http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation#version16upgrade) there's no mention of upgrading the database, and the link to detailed changes only mentions CSS and widget zones. I should have realized there would be changes from 1.5, but I was so excited I skipped over that <g>.

Also, I made the (classic) error of downloading the 1.6 source package, building it, and not copying the setup folder into an existing project...oops...so I missed the upgrade script! 

One question though...will upgrading the dB break an existing 1.5 install? I want to upgrade over an existing blog, and have started by setting up a separate application using the same connection strings to the existing dB. My usual upgrade plan would be to test the new install against the existing data, then delete the application and recreate it with the current path name (replacing the previous install). This is when I noticed the dB errors when testing against the 1.5 dB.

I will back up the dB before updating, so I can roll back if necessary, but I wanted to check if the existing 1.5.0.7 blog will run on the upgraded dB, should I need to switch back and forth for any reason?

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM
dotnetnoob wrote:

One question though...will upgrading the dB break an existing 1.5 install? I want to upgrade over an existing blog, and have started by setting up a separate application using the same connection strings to the existing dB. My usual upgrade plan would be to test the new install against the existing data, then delete the application and recreate it with the current path name (replacing the previous install). This is when I noticed the dB errors when testing against the 1.5 dB.

OK, I answered my own question by actually opening the update script and reading it ...it looks like it won't affect the existing dB structure that would break 1.5.