Feature request... should be easy

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM
I had a thought, there are a lot of times when I'd love for a word in my post to be auto replaced with a link.

So lets say I want "my church" to always have a link to my church... it would do that when I made a post.

This would make it so much easier for me to have links show up on words that I say often, and have to add a link to. Now I envision this would have its own tab in the settings area, with three parameters:
1. The words to replace... should be case sensitive.
2. The link to give it.
3. How to show it, ie _blank, etc...

I think this would be a great feature and relatively easy to add. I could easily gen up the xml version of this, but I've not looked at the SQL provider... let me know your thoughts.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2007 at 12:46 AM
Great idea. That's exactly what the extension model is for. You should write an extension that does exactly that. Easy and fun!
Aug 31, 2007 at 10:50 PM
OK so I want to do this over my five day weekend, I see where you add things to events (like the pinging)... where would be the idea place to add this on? Would seem it would need to be done before the saved event fires...
Sep 1, 2007 at 12:43 AM
It appears that this will require a new event to be fired... saving.

Something that happens BEFORE it saves that allows me to edit the body before it saves. Because doing it on the 'serving' event doesn't affect the RSS reader (which makes the codeformatter extension not work on rss feeds, at least thats how I read the code).

So is it possible to get an event before the post is actually saved?

- Clarence
Sep 1, 2007 at 2:20 AM
OK Mads, got the admin page for this complete... and am coding the extension for this under the post.serving event; but as stated previously this is not good.

Should really save this change to the XML file and not to the file as it is getting served, plus this doesn't get picked up by the RSS feed.

I'll await your feedback on this... you can reply here or email me via my site's contact form: http://www.ckurl.com with any code changes I need to make in this regard and I'll then bundle up my changes and send them to you guys for inclusion in the build (if you so desire).