Maximum filesize for attachments?

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Hi, anyone ran into a maximum file size to attach in a posting? The files I'm trying to add are MP3 files (for podcasts). The 2.9 MB file size worked, but larger ones don't. Any suggestions? I'm getting this error (both in production as development):

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum request length exceeded.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

HttpException (0x80004005): Maximum request length exceeded.
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() +3315874
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent() +56
System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() +244
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +65
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() +57
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull) +2070529
System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +63
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +133
Aug 29, 2007 at 1:38 AM
This is defined by the web server... will find a link for you in a bit, but do you have root access to the production server?
Aug 29, 2007 at 2:30 AM
http://www.banmanpro.com/support2/FileUploadlimits.asp

There you go.
Aug 29, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Hi ckincincy,

This is defined by the web server... will find a link for you in a bit, but do you have root access to the production server?

I've heard about those registry settings before, but thanks for pointing it out; and no, I don't have root access to the production (GoDaddy)

ckincincy wrote:
http://www.banmanpro.com/support2/FileUploadlimits.asp

This link returns into a 404, but I think I've read something similar on MSDN. Thanks!

Cheers Mike
Aug 29, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Try adding this to your web.config

<!-- allow large file uploads -->
<httpRuntime useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="true" maxRequestLength="8192" requestLengthDiskThreshold="8192" />

It will allow an 8MB file to pass through. I am assuming that the godday account will allow an 8MB file to upload.

Also, elsewhere on the site someone said they had great success with GoDaddy tech support. You might just want to call them. Sometimes us hosters set hard limits as a default because few people use the added features, then we add/turn them on when the client requests it.
Aug 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Wish I could buy you a drink: it works! Thanks a lot! (any idea why this line isn't included in the BE.NET code by default?)
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM
It is in the latest source code and will be in the next release as well
Aug 30, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Add me to your blogroll.

MikevZ wrote:
Wish I could buy you a drink: it works! Thanks a lot! (any idea why this line isn't included in the BE.NET code by default?)

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM
As soon as I have a personal blog setup, you're the first to add.

rclarkson wrote:
Add me to your blogroll.

MikevZ wrote: