Grab & Trim from RSS blogroll feature

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:03 PM
In the process of integrating BE.NET in a custom theme, I'm using the blogroll feature to aggregate recent posts from several feeds across the website. The site consists of multiple BE instances. You may wonder, why use blogroll and not use RecentPosts: 1) the headlines are grabbed/fetched from multiple sources (all on the same website though) and 2) the trim feature in blogroll is pretty essential (else the text might overflow the designated box).

Please view this screenshot with 'overlayed' source code at:

Now, there are a couple of issues. The showstopper: the host for production, does not allow to get the feed (no High Trust Level), even it's on the same site). Only the source titles are displayed, never the headline.

Anyone knows if modifying blogroll.cs will workaround this issue? I'll contact tech support to see if they know workarounds.

Secondly, in an ideal situation. I wish using a custom control was possible instead of blogroll with more tweaking options e.g., only show particular feeds and not all configured in a blogroll. I was even desperately considering to burn any feeds I want to publish elsewhere on the site, in FeedBurner and use the BuzzBoost feature to excerpt and use the snippet, but only trims to words, not characters.

Any suggestions to make this work is highly appreciated! If you need more details or have questions, I'm more than willing to get on the phone, instant messaging, etc. (Yeah, this needs to be fixed to get the site live, grrr). Thanks and I hope it all made sense.

Best regards,
Aug 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM
My sincere apologies about all the crosspostings, but I just posted my findings about Medium Trust vs. Medium+less-restrictive web permissions. Although I am still looking for a custom code to use specific features used in blogroll.cs, the main issue has been workaround now as I posted here: