Cant wait !!Please Pub 1.2 release!!

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Sep 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM
Cant wait !!When you will pub 1.2??This is the first day of September!!

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:54 PM
You don't need to wait. The latest source code is available, and it is much better than the last 1.1 release.
Sep 1, 2007 at 2:28 PM
So, for someone like myself, where's a good source of information on compiling the latest source code for use?

I made an attempt about a month ago, but didn't compile it completely.
Sep 1, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Go get the Express version of Visual studio, download the latest source code and give it a shot, then ask us for help with any issues you have.
Sep 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM
C#? So, even though this is a Web project, Web Developer won't suffice?

That's probably why I ran into issues - I was trying to use Web Developer Express ...
Sep 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM
I think the web developer version will work, but you can download it and give it a shot... then let us know.
Sep 1, 2007 at 4:57 PM
If you just have Web Developer (2005 Express) installed, opening the BlogEngine.sln file results in a number of errors regarding the handling of csproj files.

Installing C# 2005 Express and using it to open the BlogEngine.sln results in an error as below:

"The application for project 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\strivinglife\be\WebSites\BlogEngine.NET' is not installed.
Make sure the application for the project type (.NET) is installed."

If I try to open BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\BlogEngine.Core.csproj I get the same error.

Trying to 'Build' just BlogEngine.Core results in an error regarding the file XmlRoleProvider ('Role' could not be found).
Sep 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM
You probably get the same errors I get (I use the full version).

The sln file seems to have a few things that make it seem buggy.
1. It links to Source Safe, just follow the prompts to remove that.
2. The Website is mapped to some E drive, just click that project and in the properties section change it to your path.

But the first step is to try and open it again with the Web Developer and let us know what errors you have.
Sep 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM
Okay. I've extracted blogengine-4279.zip so that my BlogEngine.sln file has the following location:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\strivinglife\be\blogengine-4279\BlogEngine\BlogEngine.sln.

If I first try to open this file with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, I get the following error:

"The application for project 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\strivinglife\be\blogengine-4279\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\BlogEngine.Core.csproj' is not installed.
Make sure the application for the project type (.csproj) is installed."

Pressing OK:

"One or more projects in the solution could not be loaded for the following reason(s):

The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on your computer.

These projects will be labeled as unavailable in Solution Explorer. Expand the project node to show the reason the project could not be loaded."

I can only edit the BlogEngine.Core item in the Solution Explorer - I can only remove or reload E:\...\BlogEngine.NET\.

A quick Google search suggests that I need to use Visual C# Express 2005 to open this file.

Doing that, I first get a prompt about the source control. Yes or No, it makes no difference on the next step.

"The application for project 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\strivinglife\be\WebSites\BlogEngine.NET' is not installed.
Make sure the application for the project type (.NET) is installed."

At this point, if I try to 'Edit BlogEngine.NET' nothing happens.

If I try Properties on the "Solution 'BlogEngine' (1 project)", I can't find the BlogEngine.NET item.

I've tried manually editing BlogEngine.sln so that it the pathing is correct, but I just can't get BlogEngine.NET to show up as an 'active' project.

The error in XmlRoleProvider.cs is line 30, col 22.
Sep 1, 2007 at 9:28 PM
I have Express installed on my wife's PC I'll download BE and try compile it and report back with any tips.
Sep 2, 2007 at 6:45 AM
Yahoo!Thank you.
Sep 2, 2007 at 7:39 AM
I second that 'Yahoo!' and 'Thank you.' :D
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:04 PM
this is the exception i get when trying to run the project in either VS 2005 or VWD 2005

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException was unhandled by user code
Message="Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (C:\\Program Files\\CodePlexClient\\BlogEngine\\BlogEngine.NET\\web.config line 13)"
Source="System.Web"
BareMessage="Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."
Filename="C:\\Program Files\\CodePlexClient\\BlogEngine\\BlogEngine.NET\\web.config"
Line=13
StackTrace:
at System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProvider(ProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType)
at System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection configProviders, ProviderCollection providers, Type providerType)
at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.BlogService.LoadProviders()
at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.BlogService.LoadSettings()
at BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings.Load()
at BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings..ctor()
at BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings.get_Instance()
at BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule.System.Web.IHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers)
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM
That exception has been fixed in the latest source code
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:13 PM
ok will grab the latest code and see if I have any better luck, thanks for the quick response!
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:35 PM
just an fyi for everyone a cpc up blogengine still resulted in some errors I had to remove the old project and tfs folder then do a cpc checkout blogengine to get a fresh copy of the code and now it is working in both VWD and VS 2005
Sep 3, 2007 at 12:11 AM
@mrbowling:

Can you write up a step-by-step guide to how you did this?

Maybe this can eventually end up on the Wiki too? :D
Sep 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM
Okay, I think I got this working (although, it's a little slow, so I may have missed something).

Feel free to correct as necessary. Otherwise, if I don't hear about any corrections, I'll post this to the wiki this coming weekend.

Compiling source with Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition

1) Download the current source code from the Source code tab on Codeplex (http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx)

2) Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your computer.

3) Browse to BlogEngine.sln and open it with a text editor (Notepad).

4) Change the second project (BlogEngine.NET) from
..\..\WebSites\BlogEngine.NET\
to
BlogEngine.NET\
Save your changes.

5) Open the BlogEngine.sln file with Visual C# Express 2005.

6) If prompted regarding the source control provider, select either Yes or No at the prompt. When you're told to "Make sure the application for the project type () is installed." say OK.

7) From the top menu, select Build > Configuration Manager and change from Debug to Release.

8) From the top menu, select Build > Build Solution, or press F6.

9) Assuming the build succeeded, browse to DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\bin\Release\

Copy the dll and XML file to the BlogEngine.NET\Bin\ directory.

10) Move the entire BlogEngine.NET directory to your host, in the correct folder.

11) Apply the correct Properties and Permissions, to the correct folders, per the regular install guide.

---

Again, corrections appreciated. I'll be the first to state that I don't know what I'm doing, I just know that it's working :D (albeit somewhat slow when the application first recycles ...)

~James
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM
Do we have an ETA for when we can expect the 1.2 release?
I'm specifically waiting for BlogML import but want to avoid multiple updates if I can help it ;)
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:25 PM
In September, but probably in the end of the month
Sep 8, 2007 at 10:39 AM
Could someone post a build of the current alpha/beta release? With my installation of the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express I'm not able to produce a working build. :-(
Sep 8, 2007 at 3:09 PM
@digitalYours:

You could download the free Visual C# Express edition and give my instructions a try :D

However, if for some reason you can't do that, send me an email and I can make a zip file available for you.

~James
strivinglife at gmail.com
Sep 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM
The wiki entry is setup at http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/wiki/CompilingFromSource.ashx so that anyone can make corrections/modifications.

There's also room enough for how to compile using other software (the full version?) as well. (Hint hint.)

I haven't added it to any page(s) yet. I'm thinking the installation guide, at least (since I've added to the above a mention of the release tab here on CodePlex.

~James