Are CSS files cached?

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Since the CSS files are run through a compression handler, I was curious about whether they'd cache or not. Usually CSS files are cached, so every page isn't re-fetching them meaning the site loads faster, and less data transferred. I don't have anything installed to easily tell if they're being cached - does anyone know?
Sep 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM
Running on build 4292 here at with the trim stylesheet setting off, I can tell you the CSS is served from cache

To make sure, I used Fiddler 2.0 HTTP Debugger (http://www.fiddler2.com and traced several web sessions. All requests were served from cache: 0 bytes transferred. That's a great tool BTW, which made me aware that the current CssHandler class throw error 500 on my shared (medium trust) host. So I can't tell you if they are served from cached when the trimmer is on. Hope this helps!
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2007 at 10:02 PM
The CSS compression handler serves the stylesheet with the appropriate caching headers. It makes sure the browser caches it. You can always see it in YSlow or Fiddler as MikevZ points out.
Sep 3, 2007 at 6:32 AM
It was with "trim stylesheet setting on" I wondered :-)

I know about Fiddler, I just don't have it installed at home just yet, and thought someone might know for sure - thanks for clarifying :-))