Page model overhaul

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:26 AM
Hey there,

Before you ask, I've done a search, but I'm having a LOT of trouble getting a return on the results. The search returns nothing, which shouldn't be true.

I'd like to just throw a few feature requests out there as they're something which might benefit the blog as a whole:
*Comments in pages
*Making posts into pages
*Page hierarchy

Comments in pages
The ability to comment in pages is good if, lets say you have a page which is about a particular project, and you want people to leave comments and suggestions about that project. The ability to interact with your readers is priceless.

Making posts into pages
This would be a great thing to have as there are times when a possibly harmless post becomes quite important, and suddenly, people from Turkey are the biggest visitors to your blog, because a random post on your blog is still the front page on a Turkish football site after two years (yes, I'm speaking from personal experience here).

Page hierarchy
The ability to embed pages within one another is a great one, and would allow you to have different sections for a particular page. Being able to assign parents to pages would allow multiple children. Your parent page would be something like 'this is my project, here's a little description'. Then child pages would be 'Troubleshooting' and 'Download / Install' and wotnot.

Anyhoo, these are a few ideas that I thought I'd ask about. I'm not sure if they've either been requested or implemented yet, as search is currently a little dicky for me.

Thanks
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM
Dan, here is my response:

Comments in pages
We have been discussing adding comments to pages. We see it as a very low priority, but one that would be pretty easy to do. We might add it in the 1.3 release. We can't make it for the 1.2 release because it requires a lot of changes to the core and the website. On top comes all the testing. We are too close to releasing 1.2 that we cannot make that big a change this late.

Making posts into pages
Can't you just copy the content of the post and paste it into a new page you create?

Page heirarchy
This is already in the 1.2 releaes and the latest change sets. You can set the parent to each page you create and if you don't select a parent page, it will be a top level page. That is used by the new sitemap provider to create dropdown menues, breadcrumbs and treeviews if you want to add that to your theme.
Sep 13, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Thanks for your reply Mads.

madskristensen wrote:
Comments in pages
We have been discussing adding comments to pages. We see it as a very low priority, but one that would be pretty easy to do. We might add it in the 1.3 release. We can't make it for the 1.2 release because it requires a lot of changes to the core and the website. On top comes all the testing. We are too close to releasing 1.2 that we cannot make that big a change this late.

This is a fair point, and I hadn't expected anything to happen so late in the current development cycle.

madskristensen wrote:
Making posts into pages
Can't you just copy the content of the post and paste it into a new page you create?

Yes, I could, but the text editor if fickle with Firefox when it comes to copy/pasting (as in, it doesn't). It would be easier from a usability point of view to just have a checkbox which, when clicked, copies the fields (date, contents, comments). The main problem with your possible solution is that comments would remain tied to the post, but would not be connected to the page. Being able to change the comment parent would be a solution to this.

madskristensen wrote:
Page heirarchy
This is already in the 1.2 releaes and the latest change sets. You can set the parent to each page you create and if you don't select a parent page, it will be a top level page. That is used by the new sitemap provider to create dropdown menues, breadcrumbs and treeviews if you want to add that to your theme.

Excellent stuff! Thanks!
Oct 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2007 at 11:36 PM
I understand that there is another discussion thread (http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=16549) on this since the 1.2 release but I was currious if there was simply something that was being overlooked by myself and those on the other thread about implementing a hierarchical menu, or as madskristensen calls it above, the ability to "create dropdown menues, breadcrumbs and treeviews..." I do not see anything in the documentation that would allow for this creation within the theme templates nor in the source code for PageList do I even see the methods creating a hierarchical menu system. I would very much like to implement the hiererchical menu, breadcrumbs and treeviews for a sitemap without having to resort to creating my own class with overrides if it is already there since madskristensen said two weeks before the realease that it was already in the change sets. Was it removed due to errors? Is it something that will be added to the 1.3 release? or is it there but I'm not looking in the right placeand it's undocumented on how to incorporate it?
Oct 24, 2007 at 10:03 AM
@ilektran - I'm not sure if this helps, however, I use the Sitemap with the default provider - the sitemap nodes contain the hierarchy of pages (but not posts). You should be able to use this in anything that understands sitemaps... However, it doesn't contain posts - only pages. Infact, there are two sitemap providers - one for pages and one for admin.
Oct 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2007 at 5:33 PM
Thanks djcp1. I had a brain fart as it has been a while since I have implemented a sitemap. I was forgetting to set the SiteMapProvider to PageSiteMap.

djcp1 wrote:
@ilektran - I'm not sure if this helps, however, I use the Sitemap with the default provider - the sitemap nodes contain the hierarchy of pages (but not posts). You should be able to use this in anything that understands sitemaps... However, it doesn't contain posts - only pages. Infact, there are two sitemap providers - one for pages and one for admin.