Limit in localization?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls, Themes
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:41 PM
I've worked on translating one word into my own language for about an hour. I'm using Dirtylicious theme, and I just want to change "Tags:" with another word in my own language in Postview.ascx. I'm able to change the text for "categories", "actions", "e-mail" etc. since it's pretty easy. However, the "Tags:" text comes from somewhere which is not in postview.ascx and I am too ignorant to find it out. I suspect the <%=TagLinks(", ") %> thing, however I'm not sure. Same problem with "Be the first to rate this post" text.
Is there a limit in localization?
Best Regards,
Engin Uysal
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:21 PM
Nothing is perfect. Some programmers do not use .resx file as a repository for all strings and "hardcode" english verbs.

What are my recommendations:¨
- synchronize your language's labels.XX.resx file with english default labels.resx, you will probably find many new entities
- translate your selected theme pages, this is not a big problem because I believe everybody wants to change his favorite theme slightly
- translate User controls\CommentView.ascx
- translate User controls\PostList.ascx

I have found other Javascript alert functions with hardcoded english in Web\scripts\blog.js, but it is more difficult to localize them as you need to download source code, translate it and compile it yourself.

Hope this helps you.