Muliportal?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Sep 17, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Hello,

Do you have multiportal feature to show different website content for different users and admin of his own website?

Display

I would like to show like this www.mysite.com/default.aspx?username1 -> shows website of user1
I would like to show like this www.mysite.com/default.aspx?username2 -> shows website of user2

Admin

I would like to show like this www.mysite.com/default.aspx?username1 -> user logins as username1 and he is admin of username1 website

Do you have feature like this?
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2007 at 1:18 PM
BlogEngine.NET does not support multiple blogs in the same installation, but the ability to send the user to different pages based on the username is very easy to do. You have to write it your self though in the default.aspx.cs for instance.
Sep 17, 2007 at 6:33 PM
It is not only different pages, but different context for the user. I guess I would need to add something like SiteUser to your main table and change all stored procedures to add "Where ... AND SiteUser=myuser"
Sep 20, 2007 at 7:50 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2007 at 7:51 AM
To keep it simple .... just copy the install files to 2 different directories under your root. Then make them applications, Update each the web.config for each to point to the seperate dbs/data files. And you could create some custom default page that provides aggregation to each of the blogs... maybe use the rsstoolkit for something already free and available.

I commented about multi blog here awhile back on suggestions of how it should be implmented http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=13613.

Also another note, if the files were packaged differently you could easily use the initial simple method above, but instead of copying file multiple times, just create a directory for each instance that house the web.config and data/dbs - make them an application - and under each make a virtual directory pointing to a shared instance of the blog app files. You would just need a url rewrite or redirect from the root directory of each blog to the default page under the actual blog root.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:37 PM
If you really want multiple blogs and want to keep it extremely simple you can do this.

Set up two blogs in two virtual directories. Done.

Set up the first blog exactly the way you want, themes, settings, etc. Copy the data files to the second blog. Viola!

I am guessing that you do not want to have to administer two (2) blogs seperately. This app is so easy to use as is. The amount of time and effort people are putting into asking about and creating work arounds for multiple blogs, you could already have set up ten blogs and be done.

timb0311@ You should take the items you listed in your posts and turn them into specs so they can be divi. them out.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Sep 21, 2007 at 4:29 AM

rclarkson wrote:
If you really want multiple blogs and want to keep it extremely simple you can do this.

Set up two blogs in two virtual directories. Done.

Set up the first blog exactly the way you want, themes, settings, etc. Copy the data files to the second blog. Viola!

I could have sworn that is what I said... just in more detail; and with the additional step of providing a single point of entry for the blog site using an aggregation page.

On my other comments, feel free to use what you like and add to the specs. I really don't have a lot of extra time lately with my work.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM
This wouldn't necessarily be for multiple authors on the same blog, but for multiple site users wishing to have their own blog on the site. Could be thousands of users signing up - and they would each need their own blog. Think myspace... anyhow, I don't think there is an easy way to do this and you'd have to convert the application to be heavily integrated/linked with the main site and what not. Probably best to wait for the developers of the project to integrate it.

In the mean time, I'm going to have to hack something out and see if I can get it to work.