Quotation marks in headline, error

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Sep 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM
Hi

If i put quotation marks in a headline i get "an illegal character.." error on the page. hummm..... i will have to capture this error and fix it...

How about handling unexpected errors cracefully in the Global.asax file Application_error() ?

Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2007 at 3:33 PM
I'll take care of the question mark issue as soon as possible. What do you have in mind regarding Application_error? What about displaying the error if you are locked in and a nice message if you're not?
Sep 17, 2007 at 5:39 PM

madskristensen wrote:
I'll take care of the question mark issue as soon as possible. What do you have in mind regarding Application_error? What about displaying the error if you are locked in and a nice message if you're not?

Bingo!! That would be lovely... and how about dumping the errors into a xml log file (or queu). Then we could monitor the file/queu and send e-mail /or sms based on the error level... just a thought.. :-) you asked!

At least it would be great to give the user some friendly error message "The nird that controls this web has been notified of an error that accurred while you where snooping around" and then the nird could see a more detailed error message (either by looking at a error log or getting a email/sms (timestamped etc)!

Sorry... i could go on for ever... ill stop now! :-/
Sep 18, 2007 at 2:31 AM
yes, it would be nice. but...

for making global.asax work correctly, user have to set BE.Net folder as asp.net application. and on shared webhostings, it will make problems, as they only support one application per site.

i would suggest making BE.Net easy to deploy, as it is curently, and handling errors on locations where there's a chance of error. like the one described above.

dumping an error in log file would help alot.

// chall3ng3r //
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2007 at 3:32 PM
BE need to be located at the root of an application to run anyway.