Load Balanced Servers - Session-Admin

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:44 PM
I have loaded your BlogEngine on a load-balanced environment (F5 load balance appliance with Big IP) and I do not have a session state server. You app does not like this with its caching and the sessionstate that is used for admin. Any suggestions or palns to support a load balanced environment? Right now, we just threw it to a sticky server, but this is not ideal. Not really sure why the sessionstate is enabled for admin login... Is it really necessary?
Sep 20, 2007 at 8:19 PM
With the load balanced environment, the issue is with sessionstate for the logged in user and the xml. I have the sqlserver running, but I see that many features still require XML which, of course, is an issue in a load balanced environment.
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:55 PM
You will need an out-of-process session state handler like SQL server. For the membership and role provider that runs in XML, you can just use the SQL membership and role provider that is build into ASP.NET if you want. There are still some xml documents used, but they are of a more static nature.
Sep 21, 2007 at 5:02 PM
I may be wrong, but it appears that certain features use XML that are not static, like BlogRolls, for instance. If I add one, it gets written to XML on one server, but that is not good for the other server. I could implement something that syncs the two servers, but I am wondering if there are any plans to use SQLServer for features such as BlogRolls.

I was hoping to avoid using a session-state handler. How difficult would it be to use session-specific cookies or similar?