Hoe would jij support twee languages? ;-)

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:53 AM
Thanks for still reading such a weird thread title; although it's mostly English it has some Dutch words. My question seriously is:

How would you blog in two different languages?

Most of the time, I'll write English posts. The other 25% will be in Dutch. I'm considering these options, votes or other suggestions welcome:

1. Use ONE BE.NET instance and use TWO different author IDs (like for Dutch: Mike-NL and just Mike for English)
2. Use ONE BE.NET instance with just ONE author and use a) separate categories b) different tags c) just mix
3. Use TWO BE.BET instance with ONE author each, just installed on two (sub)domains

Thanks for your insight!
Mike
Sep 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM
I would use different categories (English, Nederlands). Any visitor can then easily filter by clicking that category. This still leaves the possibility to have a different author on your blog too, otherwise you would have already 4 virtual authors for 2 real persons.
Succes ermee! :-)
Sep 21, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Using those two categories for a language each, is something I'm leaning towards to. The filtering is easy indeed.

Frankly, the main reason why I'm considering other options is whenever I analyze my own scan & read behavior; if I come across a linked or searched site and the top article/text is written other than in English or Dutch, I'll just navigate away. Surely, I might miss interesting content elsewhere on the site, my bad.

So yes, I'm (or was) considering to even use two different domains, simply to prevent mixing up and keep the content clean and consistent. Maybe it's my own online reading behavior I have to reconsider ... bedankt! :-)