as a CMS - Questions

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls, Themes
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Hello -

I am very new to this application as I am more of a PHP/MySQL programmer and have never worked with ASP.NET before. I currently have a client wishing to have a CMS for one section of their site. I found a few resources on how to do this but I do have a few questions for anybody that has been able to accomplish this task. Right now I am putting together a them to match the rest of their site and it has the header & footer as includes, so I just have to format the body content and have that as the editable content. They are not using the "blog" functionality of it, but basically need it to be able to create new pages and edit them.

Here are my questions:

Is there a way to take the blog functionality completely out of the equation?

Can I take out some of the Control Panel options for an Editor role that refer to the blog (Blog Roll, Categories, etc.)

How can I take everything out of the sidepanel with the exception of the admin links (which I am going to move to the top of the site out of the content area - and how would I go about doing something like this)?

Or, if anybody has any suggestions for resource that might help me in this quest, feel free. I have already searched everywhere on Google but found no "real" resources on how to customize the core application and to create a solution such as this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:53 PM

If you're more familiar with PHP/MySQL, I'd suggest looking at , there may be some solutions there that already do exactly what you're looking for ( and are not centered around blogging ).

If you need to deliver this as an ASP.NET app, I think DotNetNuke ( may be pretty close to what you're trying to accomplish.

Anyways, that's just my opinion :)  Good luck!

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Thanks for your reply, but this does need to be an ASP.NET application. I am familiar with Wordpress ( Which I have been successful at hacking apart and doing similar things to it much like I'm trying to do here) and Drupal. Basically what I am looking for is to extract just the admin links out of say the "Standard"

theme and use just them on my master page. I don't need any of the other stuff. I would figure this is an easy thing to accomplish?

I've looked into dotnetnuke and it looks to me that it is a way more complexed  solution than I need.

Thanks for the reply though.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM

To take everything out of the side panel, you will need to remove the widgets. You can remove all of the "widgets" by logging in as administrator and simply clicking on the "x" button at the top of the widget.  You will also probably want to remove the ability to add new widgets, and the code that allows you to select a new widget to add is located in /App_Code/Controls/WidgetZone.cs

I'm not sure what you mean by "blog functionality".  If you mean removing the ability to add comments and posts, you can do that by simply not allowing the admin to add new posts ( basically, remove all of the links to add a new post ).  They will still be able to add pages.  Pages do not have their own comments, I believe.

All of the links that are generated in the admin section seem to come from /Web.sitemap.  If you remove those from that file, they will not appear in the menu in the admin section I think.

Hope that helps. I'm still learning the architecture of BE.NET, so other people may be able to help you with more detail if you ask to resolve some specific issue.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Again, I thank you for your response. I have managed to remove all the widgets by doing what you have explained. I'm going to look into removing the ability to add new widgets and also removing the links from Web.sitemap as well and report back. I almost have this working the way I want, just have alot of tweaking with the css and html of the layout.

Thanks again for your help.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Ok, I have this working!! Yahoo.....not bad for a guy that doesn't know anything about ASP!! I do however have some crazy questions as far as customizing the core:

Is there a way to disable the "HTML" view for editor roles inside the TinyMCE WYSIWYG?? I don't want the people editing the pages to even touch the html so they don't wind up screwing up the site.

I took out all the controls I don't want visible as suggested in the previous response in the Web.sitemap, I also want to remove the option for them (editors) to "Change Password", where could I find that to do so. (not a priority as the admin could just delete if a problem arises)

Other than that I think I'm good to go.