Configuration Error Msg - Pleae help

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:06 AM
Edited Oct 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM
I'm trying to set up BE on my local PC to test before deploying on a shared server. I get the following error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 9:
Line 10: <BlogEngine>
Line 11: <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 12: <providers>
Line 13: <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider"/>

Source File: C:\ASPWebSites\WLCSPFORUM\be\web.config Line: 11

Any clues as to why this is happening? Also, are there any caveats that I should be aware of if I try to install this on a shared server in a folder other than my virtual root folder?

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:26 PM
Hi Gary,

Did you correctly configured the virtual folder in your IIS to be an application? If not, go to the properties of the virtual directory in IIS, go to the 'Home Directory' tab and press the 'Create' button to configure the virtual directory as an application. Then try again :)

Hope this helps

cheers,
Russ
Oct 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Hey Russ,
I was able to get that running on my hosted server. I had to copy the stuff in the Bin directory to the root application Bin directory. Don't know why but that worked.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

Rusty350z wrote:
Hi Gary,

Did you correctly configured the virtual folder in your IIS to be an application? If not, go to the properties of the virtual directory in IIS, go to the 'Home Directory' tab and press the 'Create' button to configure the virtual directory as an application. Then try again :)

Hope this helps

cheers,
Russ

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2007 at 9:33 PM
Did you actually get the error message to go away? I have two sites with this precise problem still, both build and test out ok on IIS7 but VWD barfs with the silly error message. They deploy to IIS 6 and work there.

Shifting the binaries about doesn't sound like a likely fix to me (because it can either find them or it can't, and it'd have a lot more to barf about if it couldn't find the suckers I'd say). But I tried it anyway and it made no difference. I don't have duplicate backup config.sys files, I do have an application set up, no virtual directories required in my case.

I can make the error message (precisely as above) go away by changing <section name="blogProvider" to "Everywhere" instead of "MachineToApplication". That makes sense. Although I then have the same error on the next item (trust level). I suppose I can take the items out one by one like that.

I don't actually need a virtual directory: the Blog just lives in a subdirectory (designated as an application). I did build a virtual directory to see if that fixed it. it didn't seem to. But is that a mandatory part of the installation, to avoid these errors?