problem with import from RSS

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Oct 2, 2007 at 9:03 AM
Hi, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of 1.2 and have now started to look to implement it. I had perviously tried a local copy of version 1.1 and successfully used the import tool to import from my current Blog RSS, however I can't get the import tool to work with 1.2 and my RSS Feed :-( I have validated the RSS and it come back valid with some warnings. However the import tool reports every time that my RSS is invalid. Can anyone help please?

the RSS feed I'm trying to import is http://www.andrewwestgarth.co.uk/blog/rss.aspx

Thanks

Andrew
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:06 PM
The import tool is still very much in beta right now. We work hard to improve it. In the meanwhile there can be some glitches like you've experienced. Sorry about that.
Oct 3, 2007 at 8:01 AM
Hi,
no problem I fully understand. Guess I'll do an import with the tool in v1.1 release and then upgrade to v1.2. Little disappointed, even though it's a beta, that it worked at 1.1 but not at 1.2 but I do note that you've made improvements to it.

Keep up the good work, the engine is excellent, really looking forward to using it in anger.

Cheers

Andrew

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM
I'm trying to do some importing also. I made a major leap forward when I realized that the importer required an MS browser ;-)

After that, I can't figure out what to type in the "path" and "file path" fields. I'm trying to import from a dotMac blog with RSS, v1.2 of BE.NET.

Any one know? I tried putting the whole RSS.xml string in the "path" field, then I tried every combination I could think of between that and the "file path" field, but nothing would validate. I can get my destination to validate, which is encouraging. Does anyone have an example set of fields which do the job?

update
Aha, one of my four installations is still at 1.1, so now I know about using IE, I could try the old import tool. The good news is that the old tool reads this RSS; the bad news is that it only reads 5 posts. Perhaps I can suck them in 5 at a time, suck then delete, over and over. Anyway, it's progress.

Also the file path here is set by default to /content/binary.. I'll try that in the 1.2 tool and see what happens.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:23 PM
I'm having troubles importing from RSS too.
Any chance of making the importer source code available? I would contribute any fixes I made to get my feed imported.
Mark