Duplicate Category

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM
I am toying with a default install of BlogEngine, and when creating categories, an attempt to edit a category caused it to be duplicated (when I hit the update button there was a full asp.net error page, which I didn't think to look closely at. I just hit my back button and tried again... silly me). Now I have two categories that have the same name and description, and what's more is that if I edit the name or description of one of the two, both of them get updated with the new name/description.

What is really strange is that when I examined my SQL database for the categories, only one category existed, and there was no column for the descriptions. In short, WTF?!?!?!

Clearly, I am experiencing difficulties. When examining the SQL database, I see only one entry for the buggy category, not two. And secondly, I fail to see a column for the category descriptions, so I am at a loss where those are drawn from. As well, when editing either one of the buggy categor(y/ies) in the admin panel, both get updated, and if I edit the category name I can see the name updated in the database.However, any attempt to update the category name by manually editing the database gets "corrected" upon the first reload of the add/edit category page.

Clearly, the database entry is only a reference, and the category name is added/edited from elsewhere. And the description is stored elsewhere as well, as I cannot find it anywhere else in the database (and the big question is why... why introduce needless complexity like this??? Keep category and description within the same table, as I cannot conceive of any reason why the should be kept separate).

Somewhere there is a three-way conflict. I need to solve this before I can launch my site.
Jan 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM
hi there!

i have exactly the same problem what you descibed. does anyone know a solution?
how to delete an existing category? no posts were assigned to this category. when i click "delete" link on categories page then nothing metters! ok. i delete it by using sql query. but it steel there, on the page!