Basic HTML support in comments?

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:56 AM
Mads has recently mentioned some support for BBCode in the comments, with something about an extension. I don't really understand how I would get that working, but it's besides the point, as I would much rather have plain HTML support. Just basic things like <em />, <blockquote />, <strong />, etc.

Any idea how to implement this?
Nov 9, 2007 at 9:31 AM
Edited Nov 9, 2007 at 9:32 AM
Are you running the baseline 1.2 install of BE? If so then you will need to download a changeset (click the source code tab in codeplex). I think that changeset 7442 has a version of BBcode that does what you need.

Unzip the change set and go to the "" folder and you'll see a file called BBCode.cs - copy this to YOUR appcode/extensions folder.

You'll need to restart your application (touch the web.config should do the trick) to get the extension loaded.

The support in changeset 7442 is something like this:
bbcode xhtml
--------- -------
[b] [/b] strong
[i] [/i] em
[u] [/u] underline using a span and style
[quote] [/quote] cite

You can add more by copying the code in the file for whatever you need.

hope this helps
Nov 9, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM
Or just go over to, get BBCode, and drop the .cs file into App_Code/Extensions
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:47 PM
Um, right, but I was hoping for XHTML, not BBCode... you both seemed to have missed this?
Nov 9, 2007 at 5:28 PM
Didn't miss it. we were just pointing out that something similar was already done. Why not create an extension to do it? If you need help in the department check out the wiki at
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:23 AM
Edited Jan 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM
So... now that I can get html into the comments, how do I keep it there?

Now, in the "Recent Comments" I am seeing the BBCode...

I have seen that Cristiano has solved the issue on his site:

But I can't see how it's done.
Jan 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM
the solution is very simple: i have patched the component RecentComments.cs to remove the BBCode from Recent Comments.
You can download the component at:

Instructions: locate and download the file, then extract and overwrite RecentComments.cs in the /App_Code/Controls/ folder.

P.S.: sorry for my poor english
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM
No need to apologize- your English is fine :-)

If I read your post correctly, your patch removes the BBCode, but does not replace it with HTML?

Thanks (again!) Cristiano- you are really making BE.Net shine.