1and1 hosting issues

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM
I use 1and1.com as a webhost. My personal website is on a unix server but, for a variety of reasons. we set up the church website on a shared MS server. Mostly it has been OK. Unfortunately, when it turned out we wanted to have blogs on the church website, they don't support blogs on the MS servers.

I looked for some free ASP.NET blogs and was beginning to try to install SubText when an acquaintance recommended blogengine.net. The install looked much simpler, so I've been trying it, with limited success.

1and1 appears to be somewhat like GoDaddy, in that it does not allow changing the Trust levels. I thrashed around with deleting that from web.config and could get different error messages but not successful operation. I exchanged several messages with 1and1 tech support which did not seem to help a lot until I got one this morning that said they had tried to access the blog and it seemed to be working fine. And it was. I don't know why.

So then I read the startup page and, as it instructed, I modified users.xml. And, since I didn't see any sense in leaving the defaults in place, I deleted admin and editor. And I FTPd it into place.

But when I tried to log in, it would not accept my new logins. I tried for quite a while. And then I tried the old logins that I had deleted. And they worked. And then I went perusing the forum. And found the podcast that shows how adding/changing users should be done.

But, when I went to try that, the old default logins no longer worked. And the new ones did - - as users. No access to administration.

In the forums I had seen reference to roles.xml, so I went to look at that. And I changed it to cover my new logins. And FTPd it up. And it hasn't helped.

I get the feeling that changes I make don't get detected by the blogengine for some time after they are made. I don't know if this is a 1and1 thing or a blogengine thing.

Does anyone know how to force a refresh/restart? Simply signing our and reentering does not seem to do it.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:31 AM

I am trying to set up blogengine on 1and1 and am having similar type problems. Basically it currently says "Server Application Unavailable". This error typically is because of an error in the threadpool somewhere (such as if it has stopped or improperly configured).

Anyways, the 1and1 support staff tells me that it is because I had things in the web.config that they didn't support. I figured that it was probably the "trust" thing, so I got rid of that, but it still gives me the server application unavailable.

Did you ever get the blogengine working well on 1and1? Any tips? Thanks!
Jan 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM
Hi, would you like to try or preview a BE.NET custom-built for shared hosting plans?

Another community member test drived my modified BE.NET, which runs instantly and smoothly on GoDaddy out of the box. He confirmed it fixed all the GoDaddy issues. It might work on 1and1 as well? Please let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the download link. Hope to publish more details today.

In response to Paul's question how to force an application restart, you've got three options.

• Use the IIS snap-in, but that's probably restricted by the hosting company, so:
  • Overwrite the BlogEngine.Core.dll file in the \Bin\ folder or a faster option:
  • Change the web.config file and re-upload

Make sure you really altered web.config, like simply adding an extra white space/return or <!-- comment --> as long as there's a change and overwrite it via FTP. Manually modifying .XML files does not restart the application, so any changes won't be displayed until you perform one of the options above.

Well, back to the custom-built. Hopefully you really like to give it a try, because I'm also curious if it works on hosts like 1and1.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:04 AM

I would love to try BE.NET Just be sure to provide me with instructions that I can follow. Can I install it in parallel with the BE.NET that I have already installed or do I need to delete the present installation? Any tips and tricks?

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM
Hi Sims, excellent!

Of course you can give this custom version based on BE.NET a try!
Get the .zip directly from the recently opened CodePlex project.

Now let's address your specific questions too, thanks!

pwright2 wrote:
I would love to try BE.NET Just be sure to provide me with instructions that I can follow. Can I install it in parallel with the BE.NET that I have already installed or do I need to delete the present installation? Any tips and tricks?

A complete guide, I published yesterday on my blog running on this build.

Did you miss anything on there?
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM
A side note... Whenever I make changes to the roles.xml and/or users.xml file the changes are not immediately available. I usually end up restarting the web site and/or the application pool in order to make the changes immediately show up.
Jan 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Fine point Chris, thanks! Wish there's an admin option that restarts the app for us on hosted servers instead of making a "web.config mimic" to force a restart.

Sims, could you open the links by now?
Jan 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM
I have downloaded the version but have not yet installed it. Perhaps later today. The 'Complete Guide' link takes me to your blog which does provide some instructions but I kept searching the page for a link to something (undefinably) more. I now assume that the instructions on the page are complete enough to get it started. I'll let you know.

Thanks for your work.

BTW, if anyone cares, my name is Paul Sims Wright and at different times in my life I have been known as either Paul or Sims and sometimes I lose track of which name I am using in written correspondence and switch back and forth. I also respond to 'hey you' and a wide variety of expletives.
Jan 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Hi Paul, thank you for getting the version (and your entertaining BTW note).

The "complete" guide is indeed on my blog, but I don't understand why the darn link went to the frontpage, I'm sorry!

<Warning: rant & rave and cry for GoDaddy/IIS help>
The trouble I have with pages in BE.NET is the lack of setting a permanent URL/slug: if I need to change a page title, the link changes too :-(
So I just created a redirect on http://van-Zand/ModPack/ to whatever the latest URL of the actual page is.

What I think really sucks on my GoDaddy shared IIS site, is that if you leave out the last trailing slash in that URL (a virtual directory), it turns into a 404

On a brighter note, I love the BE.NET feature of separate RSS feeds per category
This way, we can create a dedicated e.g. FeedBurner without stuff like personal rants & raves ;-)

So, that's what I did too for the ModPack Updates: http://feeds.feedburner.com/modpack
Soo, I'll post the first update there today. Later with tips, video captured tutorials and news
Sooo, if you want the current link: http://ict20.net/ModPack/

I appreciate your thank you note about 'my work on ModPack', yet that's nothing but a fine-tuned BE.NET for shared hosting.
Thank you again Paul, thanks BlogEngine.NET team for creating the most easy, flexible blog platform in the world and thank y'all for forgiving my rambling.

Cheers Mike

BTW Paul Sims Wright: of course people care, I enjoyed reading your fun bio! My name is Mike van Zandwijk or Michael according to my passport (and my parents). I'm glad my two daughters are just as Dutch so they say "laten we gaan, pappie" instead of "let's go, daddy". One Dutch downside can be tough last names, hence the van-zand.com and MikevZ. Nice meeting you, Paul!
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

It works for me : allaboutdomains.org; just put it in root folder; that's what 1and1 basic setup is; crap took about 2 days to get me the solution