Using Windows Live Writer with BlogEngine.Net

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM
After recently switching over from Blogger to BlogEngine.Net I have been trying to get the latest download of Windows Live Writer to work. When I try and setup the blog it doesn't list BlogEngine.Net as an available blog provider. Also, if I enter in the root of my blog site (www.dscoduc.com) and WLW attempts to autodiscover what type of blog service I have I get an error indicating:

Blog Server Error - Server Error 01 Occurred
Invalid XMLRPC Request. (StartIndex cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: startIndex)

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work correctly? Much appreciated!

Chris
Nov 28, 2007 at 7:28 PM
I've got it (mostly) working for my site; I think you use the MetaWeblog API. Also, remember to have permissions all set up... BE.NET needs to be able to write to App_Data (a foolproof test is if you clear all your cookies and login data or use a public computer and can still post a comment), and then you give WLW your BE.NET password.

I can't get tags working though... the keywords field works fine, but the tags button on the sidebar doesn't do anything.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Domenic wrote:
I can't get tags working though... the keywords field works fine, but the tags button on the sidebar doesn't do anything.

Can you give me more details on this? What is your version number?
Can you browse to: {your blog url}/api/tagminiview.aspx ?
Nov 29, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Domenic wrote:

In Windows Live Writer (final) are you referring to the TAG button displayed under the Weblog section or the Insert Tags under the Insert section? From my experience, the former simply shows what tags are already in use on the site while the latter is where you enter tags pertaining to the post you are currently editing. It wold have been nice if they had combined the two in some way to allow you to click on tags already used and apply them to your current post. I personally haven't experienced any problems using the Insert Tags under the Insert section.
Nov 29, 2007 at 9:50 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM

dscoduc wrote:
After recently switching over from Blogger to BlogEngine.Net I have been trying to get the latest download of Windows Live Writer to work. When I try and setup the blog it doesn't list BlogEngine.Net as an available blog provider. Also, if I enter in the root of my blog site (www.dscoduc.com) and WLW attempts to autodiscover what type of blog service I have I get an error indicating:

Blog Server Error - Server Error 01 Occurred
Invalid XMLRPC Request. (StartIndex cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: startIndex)

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work correctly? Much appreciated!

Chris

I experienced this once but from what I can remember it was after I had upgraded the source files and had forgotten to add or refresh the reference to the BlogEngine.Core.dll
Nov 29, 2007 at 10:38 PM
So it seems that I had set my sessionState="AutoDetect" instead of sessionState="useCookies". Changing this solved the problem...
Nov 30, 2007 at 5:30 AM
http://blog.domenicdenicola.com/api/tagminiview.aspx works fine.

Version number is a customized version of build 8053. None of the customizations mess with the tag or API stuff.

I am referring to the TAG button under "Weblog." If I click it, the button depresses, but nothing else happens. I presume it's supposed to pop up what's on that web page.

The Insert Tags button doesn't seem like it would be that useful... it enters some HTML in the edit box, which isn't what I want. Presumably they wouldn't be integrated with the blog. And they have something to do with technorati or whatever... not my site.