Pages and adding to menu

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Dec 1, 2007 at 11:31 PM
Where can I find info on creating a page and adding it to the top menu. I wish to create a links, about and several other static pages. The docs do not offer much. Thank you.
Dec 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM
You can add a reference to a static page in the site.master file of your particular theme. In there, look for a div with id="navbar" .
Dec 2, 2007 at 2:46 AM
Edited Dec 2, 2007 at 2:47 AM
Ok so where is the page after I create it, under app-data/pages I found my page as an xml file with cryptic numbers, how do I get this on the menu and open and edit it? I added it to the file above right clicked to it's properities and browsed to it but that's it, it won't open. I would like to create a page and name it about.aspx, is this possible? Thanks
Dec 2, 2007 at 10:16 AM
I understand what you want now. I thought you wanted to link to a static ASP.NET page. But what you really want is to link to a Blog Page. Take a look at the code in App_Code/Controls/PageList.cs. Specifically, take a look at the method BindPages. It will show you how to traverse through the Blog Pages so you can then construct the link you want to the specific page you want.
Dec 2, 2007 at 11:47 AM
No, you are correct in what I want to link to, my question is I would like to use BlogEngine but I cannot figure out how to build an aspx page. I would like to create an about, link, and others but with the admin page all it creates is an xml page. I have searched but cannot find info on this. Can you help. Thanks.
Dec 2, 2007 at 4:39 PM
After you have created and published a page via BE.net you can access it in this manner;
http://www.example.com/page/yourpagename.aspx

Now realize that the page name is done pretty much the same way as a blog post.

So if you're title is About Us, then your page would be about-us.aspx.

Hope that helps.
Feb 17, 2008 at 6:30 PM
I'm dealing with this exact same problem. I tried to add an entry in the ASPX of the master page but the link doesn't appear. It "works" in the sense that there's a space where if you click on it it'll direct you to the next page, but obviously that's not acceptable. I see all these references to resources.label.whatever, but I don't know where these references are actually pointing to, and I can't use them for my code. Also the solution you mentioned above doesn't work because I can't find the "navbar" div reference. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, because I also would PREFER to access an ASPX page, but I'm not against accessing just the funky XML page. Also, if I were to just rename the XML file and reference it like that would that work as well? thanks
Feb 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM
A new base page must inherit from the BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.BlogBasePage class.

You do not need all the other content from the page you just need an asp:Content tag after the declarations like so.

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphBody" runat="Server">
<!-- All my page content goes here -->
</asp:Content>

Next you need to find the site.master page for your favorite theme. Locate the menu. Add a new link to your newly created page.

I hope this helps.
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM
I apologize. I am beyond stupid...

Didn't write any text after the link tab to be displayed...

Move along.. nothing to see here...
Apr 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I'm not a programmer, just a guy trying to make his site work, so I'm a little confused.  I've tried what's been listed as best I can and I am able to create a page, link to it and have it show in the NavBar but the sidebar moves from the left side to below the page.  How do I get it so that I can have static pages like an "about" while still maintaining the overall look of my site?