Performance issue: XML or DataBase?

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:16 PM

I fallen in love at the first sight when I meet BlogEngine.NET ;-)

Before I deploy it in our intranet as a simple KMS, I must clarify which provider mode I should use?

Our working environment is

a single server, single appliction, about 30 users, 30 posts per day, not much clicks, 'Search' occurs the most frequently. And it maybe keep runing for about 5+ years. so, what should I choose my 'blogProvider'? XML or DataBase?

Thx.
Dec 2, 2007 at 7:10 PM
My personal preference is definitely database. Volume will not be a problem over time, imho.
Dec 3, 2007 at 12:08 AM
Thank you for your reply. Now I have another question, when using SQL, how can I use the build-in full text search engine of the SQL Server? I dig in the source code, but got no idea.
Dec 3, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Curious thought... Is it possible/difficult to switch between XML and SQL Database? Let's say you start with XML and want to switch over to SQLDB... Is this possible without too much grief?

lvildosola wrote:
My personal preference is definitely database. Volume will not be a problem over time, imho.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:46 AM
dscoduc, interesting thought. I don't see any provisions to migrate the posts. So, I don't think it would be a simple task. Unless you have a few posts, in which case you can probably have a second instance that supports XML so you can view the posts and you can then copy and paste it in the new instance. Not a desire approace to migrate. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about BlogEngine.NET to tell you more on this.

swing, I am currently playing with BlogEngine.NET with SQL Server 2005. The current search implementation seems to work fine in this configuration. I don't know if you would need more than that. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional insight on the subject.
Dec 3, 2007 at 2:33 AM
There is a tool to switch between SQL and XML, not sure where it is... Mad's is the man to answer that.... however the XML setup should have no performance issues for you... for some time, if ever. There are some very popular blogs that are xml based.

And I wouldn't switch to FTS... sucks compared to what they have setup in BE.net.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:13 AM
The real reason I posted the curious thought is because I started with a SQL configuration and now I am thinking I should have used XML. Less overhead on the server (not having to run SQL), easier to backup (less hooks and such), and makes it more portable (for example troubleshooting)...

So that being said, if anyone knows how I could convert my existing SQL information back into XML I would be very grateful!
Dec 3, 2007 at 3:41 PM
I guess that would be a good point, RE: overhead. I would say that if you are already maintaining SQL for your site and you are comfortable doing the management, then SQL may be a better solution since all your backups, etc. can be done there. However, since not all content is maintained in SQL (e.g. blogroll) then you would be forced to also back up your data in the web site also. Not easy to choose I guess.