ImageHandler, missing images, and 404 errors

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Dec 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Edited Dec 14, 2007 at 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has worked this out or is experiencing the exact same problem as I am. I have searched the discussions, issues, and wiki on this but nothing has helped yet.

Setup:
IIS7 on Vista 64-bit
Web Site in Classic .NET AppPool under .NET Framework v2.0
BE change set 8501 (v1.2.0.29)
Permissions on AppData have been set to read/write for Users, IISUSERS, and NETWORK SERVICE
Posts entered with Windows Live Writer
files folder in App_Data is filled with the files from posts that have been published (nothing is missing here)

The Issue:
When accessing the web site from the host computer the images in posts are displayed. When accessing the web site from a remote system the images are missing. When attempting to access the image by URL (domainname/image.axd?picture=WindowsLiveWriter/post directory/image file name) in the browser it comes back with a clean 404 error (HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found). Other images set through the CSS files or in img tags or Image controls come up fine. It is only those that within the body of a post which uses the ImageHandler. The other handlers seem to be working fine although I am not ustilizing all of them so I can't say for certain. CSS definately works.

I know the handler is working but for some reason it seems to have restrictions based on permissions. It's been a while since I have messed around with IIS and now with IIS7 it seems like I'm starting over, but shouldn't this be working without needing to modify any of the server configuration?
Dec 15, 2007 at 2:57 AM
Nah, something got broke here. I've been having very hit and miss working with version 1.2.0.25... something got broke (and 1.2.0.25 had a bug in it that I reported and fixed... somebody was playing around and messed it up).

Would appreciate one of the core members to do a win diff and figure out what got broke.
Dec 15, 2007 at 6:34 AM

ckincincy wrote:
Nah, something got broke here. I've been having very hit and miss working with version 1.2.0.25... something got broke (and 1.2.0.25 had a bug in it that I reported and fixed... somebody was playing around and messed it up).

Would appreciate one of the core members to do a win diff and figure out what got broke.


Glad to know it's not just me. Looks like they've got 10 days to fix it if they plan on making a pre-Christmas point release.
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM
Just letting you know Mads uploaded a fix to this.
Dec 18, 2007 at 5:18 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2007 at 5:51 AM
Yes, I noticed the update and tried it earlier today. I haven't looked into the difference in the files very deeply. Now I'm experiencing some problems with the calendar and achive links. Seems any URI that does not end in a file name throws an error. For some reason the calendar links and archive links of months are being sent to the PageSiteMap control. I'm not sure if this is necessary, if it was previously bypassed for these types of links or what has changed since the PageSiteMap.cs file looks identical the the last change set I tried that worked. Might need to open a new discussion on this one.