subdomain policy

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Dec 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM
what is the "subdomain policy" setting for?
Dec 23, 2007 at 4:26 AM
If it is turned on, the user will always be redirected to www.yourdomain.com.... if off, they can visit your site via www.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com
Dec 23, 2007 at 2:47 PM
Hmmm. Sorry, not quite following. When you say redirected, do you mean if someone comes to your blog using the url yourdomain.com/blog, it will do a redirect to www.yourdomain.com/blog (or www.yourdomain.com)? What is the value of this feature? It's obviously important enough to add in BE.

PS The reason I'm asking for explicit detail is that I would like to contribute to the documentation wiki. So I need to know some depth and example scenario.

BE Rocks! I installed it a few days ago in a shared hosting environment. I did have to contact customer support to resolve some security/trust issue, but after that, no probs. I'm already doing a custom theme for my site.

Thanks!
Dec 23, 2007 at 4:42 PM
" if someone comes to your blog using the url yourdomain.com/blog, it will do a redirect to www.yourdomain.com/blog"

That is the behavior you will see. I think the benefit of this is it forces Google and other search engines to come to your site in one direction, otherwise it could spider both sites (the bot isn't smart enough to know they are different) and then penalize you for duplicate content.