Setup Issues...

Topics: Controls
Dec 25, 2007 at 3:40 AM
I recently added BlogEngine.NET to my GoDaddy hosting account. The installation and intial setup worked fine, but I've ran into two issues I've been yet unable to solve:

1. How do I edit the information in the About the Author section?

2. I cannot get the email setting to work. No matter what I put in, I keep getting the Cannot Connect error. I'm assuming there is a problem with the parameters I'm adding, but I'd really like to hear back from someone else using GoDaddy here on what they entered to make the Email Test successful.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Dec 25, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Hi fellow GoDaddy customer,

1. Editing About the Author
You probably use the Standard theme, which uses a sidepanel control located in /themes/Standard/SidePanel.ascx
Modify this file with your own story by using any text/html editor and upload this changed file back via FTP

2. Configuring email settings
These e-mail settings work fine on my BE.Net installation at GoDaddy:
  • SMTP server: relay-hosting.secureserver.net (guess that's your main answer)
  • Port number: 25 (=default, no changes)
  • Username/password: <blank> (remove anything possibly filled in)
  • Enable SSL: <unchecked>
  • Send comment email: <optional>

If you rather edit those texts without touching .ascx files any further, I suggest to change the theme once with only a link to a BE.NET page about you. I suggest to add a new page via BE.NET admin section and title it e.g. About Sinfante; resulting in a page on your blog like http://www.example.com/page/about-sinfante.aspx Personally I like Windows Live Writer (WLW) to write and modify posts. Since engine version 1.3, BE.NET also supports pages in WLW, so keeping these pages up-to-date is very easy. Let me know if you like to know more about this feature.

Does this help? Good luck!

Best regards Mike
Dec 26, 2007 at 3:18 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Your suggestions for the email and author settings worked fine. Just as I (and you) imagined, I did not have the correct SMTP server listed.

I've been using Windows Live Writer for a while to post and modify my blog. It too works great.

Thanks again for your help.
Dec 26, 2007 at 7:30 PM
Hi and thanks for letting us know the suggestions work fine. Glad you like WLW too and thumbs up for the BE.Net team for supporting creating/editing pages as well now.
Dec 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM
You probably use the Standard theme, which uses a sidepanel control located in /themes/Standard/SidePanel.ascx
Modify this file with your own story by using any text/html editor and upload this changed file back via FTP

What if you are not using the "Standard theme"? I don't see a user control for several of them...

Thanks
Dec 28, 2007 at 3:46 PM

ab5sr wrote:

What if you are not using the "Standard theme"? I don't see a user control for several of them...

Thanks

I see it - site.master.

Thanks
Mar 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Hey there....
Not too sure if anyone else has this problem. After changing my email settings in the settings.aspx, I can sucessfully send a test email and it gets delivered. However, whenever I go to the contact.aspx form, I get a sucessfull prompt that the email has gone yet it's never delivered into my inbox.

I'm about to loose my fricken mind with this..anyone have any advice?

Cheers.
Mar 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Hey guys....
forget it. I got it to work. I fell into the trap of not deleting my cookies!!!
Thanks though!

stoafer wrote:
Hey there....
Not too sure if anyone else has this problem. After changing my email settings in the settings.aspx, I can sucessfully send a test email and it gets delivered. However, whenever I go to the contact.aspx form, I get a sucessfull prompt that the email has gone yet it's never delivered into my inbox.

I'm about to loose my fricken mind with this..anyone have any advice?

Cheers.