I've been using BlogEngine.NET since 1.5 and really like it. Excellent work!
I recently did an upgrade to 1.6 and I've been getting a lot of spam lately (saw the discussion about a new wave coming through) and wanted to get Akismet up and running to filter things out.
Here's the process I've taken and maybe somebody can point to an error I have.
1. I went to the akismet site and registered for a key. I used my generic Gmail account and not my "standard" e-mail address that is configured as the admin.
2. I got the e-mail and activated the key. I took that value and copied it down.
3. I went into the Extensions section and enabled the AkismetFilter. After enabled, I went into the configuration, entered my key and the address of my blog.
4. I then went into the comments section, checked the box to moderate comments, and selected the "Automatic" radio button.
5. I then went down to the custom filters, and changed the priorities so that Akismet has a priority of 1 and StopForumSpam has a priority of 2.
6. I saved everything up and waited.
Shortly after another wave of spam came in and I had to delete them all (WONDERFUL new comment management by the way thank you!). I dug around a bit and found an older article on setting up the AkismetExtension and the documentation online indicated that
I needed to use my WordPress API key as my Akismet filter key. So I went into my WordPress profile, grabbed the key, and just to make sure, I changed the website address in my profile to match my blog address in the AkismetFilter extension.
After updating these settings, there was still nothing working. Another wave came in shortly after. In both cases, the stats for the filters said they had processed 0 comments and in addition, I'm noticing that both the filter extensions are greyed out from
me being to enable them or not.
Is there something I'm missing? Could it be that I need to change the e-mail address on my WordPress account (or maybe my admin profile here) to match?
Keep up the great work guys!
[:: Sean ::]