Migrating from XML to SQL Server

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I see documentation for setting up SQL Server for use in BE, but does anyone know of a guide/tips/discussion/etc that outlines the steps for migrating from XML to SQL Server?  I don't have a ton of posts, but I want to keep them and the comments intact if possible. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM

mwolski: You should be able to go to admin->settings and export your current blog.  When you switch to a new data provider, your blog would appear as being empty, but you could then import your exported data.

I think that should work, although I've never tried it.

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Here's a handy tool for Provider Migration.

BlogEngine.NET Provider Migration
http://www.nyveldt.com/blog/page/BlogEngineNET-Provider-Migration.aspx

I used it once and it worked pretty well.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Gents,

Thanks! I will follow the information you provided and see where it leads. I appreciate the pointers!

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Smooth as silk. Basically I exported the existing content (as suggested by fstanek), then followed BenAmada's link and read up. I ended up just following the info under \setup\sqlserver for a fresh 1.6 installation. Once installed (very easy, took 5 minutes, literally), I imported the blog back in. Pretty simple. 

Some things to keep in mind:

  1. When importing back into the SQL Server version of the blog, I left the Target File Location blank. No idea what this is for, but since I wasn't changing any site structure I just left it blank.
  2. After you import you will have to set all your blog settings again. This includes:
    • Blogroll
    • Controls
    • Categories (although it looks like the categories are populated with whatever was imported, which is nice)
    • Settings (yes, all of them including site name/themes/email/etc.)
    • Profiles and Users (although it looks like it mapped the imported stories to users, once I added them back in, which is very nice)
    • Extensions - they all need to be setup/enabled again
  3. Don't forget to delete/change the standard admin account!

The entire process took me 30 minutes, mostly because I had to remember what my previous settings were.

Thanks for the pointers!