Can't login to my Blog

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Mar 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I upgraded from a less than 1 version, then copied back the appdata to the new version.

I cannot login, even if the users file has my name and password. I get

Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:20 AM

i found in an older update information that the password was no longer in clear, to gain access, I just had to remove the password from the users.xml and login using username and admin as password.

Now i sometimes get this error

Ooops! An unexpected error has occurred.

This one's down to me! Please accept my apologies for this - I'll see to it that the developer responsible for this happening is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem).

Error Details:

Url :

Raw Url : /SM_Datamart_Blog/admin/Pages/Settings.aspx

Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Source : System.Web

StackTrace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at ASP.admin_pages_settings_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)

Message : Access to the path 'D:\BlogEngine\BlogEngine.NET\App_Data\settings.xml' is denied.

Source : mscorlib

StackTrace : at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.Xml.XmlWriter.Create(String outputFileName, XmlWriterSettings settings)

at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider.SaveSettings(StringDictionary settings) in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Providers\XmlProvider\Settings.cs:line 74

at BlogEngine.Core.Providers.BlogService.SaveSettings(StringDictionary settings) in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Providers\BlogService.cs:line 305

at BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings.Save() in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\BlogSettings.cs:line 934

at admin_Pages_configuration.btnSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

TargetSite : Void WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Write permissions need to be set on the App_Data folder.  The error message in those details is:

Access to the path 'D:\BlogEngine\BlogEngine.NET\App_Data\settings.xml' is denied.

Not having Write permissions setup on App_Data is the most likely cause for the error.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Thanks Ben, that was it. I am back in business.