Help! -- Upgrade to Version 1.6 (source)

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Themes
Mar 22, 2010 at 1:37 AM

My goal is to upgrade to version 1.6 (source) without having to re-code all of the changes that I have made to the BlogEngine.Web, CSS, and SQL Server Version 1.5 (source).

• If I changed BlogEngine.Web to BI-BitsWeb in Version 1.5 (source), will this be an issue upgrading to Version 1.6 (source)? If so, how should I fix this?
  • If I changed the solution name to BI-Bits.sln in Version 1.5 (source), will this be an issue upgrading to Version 1.6 (source)? If so, how should I fix this?
  • What steps should I take to to ensure I do not lose my changes mentioned above (goal) when upgrading to version 1.6 (source)?
    • Do I need to start over with my changes in version 1.6 (source)?
    • Can I just replace the version 1.5 core with the version 1.6 core?
  • What things do I need to consider when I back-up my current content?
    • Where in the SQL Server Schema do I find the content I need to back-up?
    • Are there schema changes to SQL Server in version 1.6 from version 1.5?
  • Is there a strategy I can use to prepare for future updates so I do not lose custom development?
  • Please provide as much other advice as you can, such as examples, more instructions, and videos...

Thanks,

Ryan

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM

The important thing for the BE core is that the assembly name is BlogEngine.Core.  A name like BlogEngine.Web is just a folder name ... so it shouldn't matter what you call it.

If you make changes to files outside your theme, then a repercussion is you need to make those changes again when upgrading.  Whenever possible, if you can limit changes to your theme files, it makes it much easier to upgrade.

You might not remember all the changes you made to BE 1.5.  The best thing to do is to use a file comparison tool, like Beyond Compare, to compare the modified 1.5 code you have now to the original BE 1.5 code.  This will identify what you changed.  You can then upgrade to 1.6 and reapply those same changes you made to your new 1.6 blog.

There were some SQL schema changes.  There's an upgrade script in the setup\SQLServer folder.

For upgrading, I usually just overwrite all my files except for the web.config file, robots.txt file and the App_Data folder.  Of course, first have a backup in case something goes wrong.

There's a lot of changes in and outside the BE core between version 1.5 and 1.6.  So no, you cannot just replace the BE core DLL.

Here's some upgrade instructions from BE 1.5 to 1.6.