CompilationError when upgraded to 1.6

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

hey,

I followed this article when upgrading to 1.6 from 1.5

http://www.david-wynne.com/blog/post/Upgrading-BlogEngineNET-from-15-to-16.aspx

I did put the Picasa extension into Extension folder and various other files for the extension into the right folders, this is what I get

http://www.giddy.co.in/blog

Do I need to download the source, compile it with the extensions and then upload the published result?

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM

You probably missed the last bullet:

7. On your FTP site, delete the App_Code\ExtensionManager directory. (This code has been moved into the BlogEngine.Core.dll in version 1.6.  Not deleting this sub-folder will lead to errors.)

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM

nope, that folder isn't up on my FTP

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM

I'm 100% in agreement with rtur.  This error is because you have an Extension Manager folder in your App_Code folder.  It's right in the error message details:

The type 'ExtensionSettings' exists in both 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\blog\20bfb535\d822087a\assembly\dl3\8919b2ad\dd54b2bb_f8a0ca01\App_Code.DLL' and 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\blog\20bfb535\d822087a\assembly\dl3\571ab2fa\d63add9b_96c9ca01\BlogEngine.Core.DLL.

This is saying that ExtensionSettings exists in both the App_Code and in BlogEngine.Core.DLL.

For reference, the default BE 1.6 installation has two folders under App_Code -- (1) Controls and (2) Extensions.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

hmm nope, there are only those 2 folders in there. 

Is it because my previous installation(1.5)  was a precompiled BE. I downloaded the source and compiled it and uploaded it there? Maybe its the precompiled dll from some cache?? BE1.6 doesnt have an App_Code.dll right? I tried deleting it, also there were a couple of App_WEB_xxxx files in my bin, but after deleting them the blog just never loads! =(

Thanks so much

Gideon

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:37 AM

You're right there isn't an App_Code.dll, but I think that's just part of the normal, strange naming convention ASP.NET uses when it compiles files in the App_Code folder.

There's a different error on your site now.  Maybe you're working on it.  The error showing up now is being suppressed by the 'custom errors' setting in the web.config file.  If you change the custom errors tag in the web.config file to the following, you should get some real error details (which hopefully isn't the same error we were originally seeing).

<customErrors mode="Off">

I would also check your root folder for any files named "Precompiledapp.config".  If you find this file, delete it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I probably would have liked to know what the error was, I'm assuming it was some files that were pre compiled from the BE 1.5 installation I had.

You're right, I was working on it, I did the same thing again, downloaded the source, added the extensions, published a pre compiled version and put it online. Works perfecto!! Wanted to ask, since I did this, would I have to re-compile it to add new extensions or would just places the .cs files in the right folder work? Or could I compile them and just replace the dll or something?

Thank you so much for your swift help.Much appreciated.

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM

That sounds about right.  You can either add the extensions, and pre-compile again, or you might be able to just drop the extension in App_Code.

I haven't done much with precompiling -- especially with BE.  So I'm not speaking from experience.  I personally think it's easier to not pre-compile, and some people have been unable to run BE when pre-compiling it.  So it sounds like you're doing pretty good that you've gotten this far.