Extensions Not Working...

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hello There,

Since I upgraded to 1.5 my extensions are not working. I searched internet, I came across some other people who have similar problems. Today I upgraded to 1.6, still they are not working. I checked directory permissions, app pool and all. Everything is in order. Ruslan's check script confirmed this as well; but still, extensions do not work. When I go to admin/Extension%20Manager/default.aspx I see 3 extensions (where in fact I should have about 9 of them), 3 extensions seem enabled. But even those extensions that are shown to be enabled do not function (i.e. breakpost does not break posts any more...)

Every once a while in extension manager page I receive Root Element is Missing error with following details:

Line 85:     void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
Line  86:     {
Line 87:         Utils.LoadExtensions();
Line 88:     }
Line 89:

Source File: d:\...mysite.org\www\Global.asax    Line: 87

Later it says there is a problem in XML document, and dumps the following:

System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +611
   System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream) +104
   ExtensionManager.DataStoreExtension(String name) in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\Extensions\ExtensionManager.cs:253
   ExtensionManager.LoadExtensions() in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\Extensions\ExtensionManager.cs:210
   ExtensionManager.ExtensionEnabled(String extensionName) in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\Extensions\ExtensionManager.cs:55
   BlogEngine.Core.Utils.LoadExtensions() in C:\Data\Development\BlogEngine.NET\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Utils.cs:543
   ASP.global_asax.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\...mysite.org\www\Global.asax:87

Any opinions? Thanks in advance. Haluk

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Any hints on this please??? My site looks totally uncool without social bookmarks, [more], mp3 plugin and quicklinks... HELPPPP PLEEEAAASEEEE. It's been 4 months I'm struggling with this...

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM

If you have a bunch of custom extensions as it sounds like you have (social bookmarks, mp3 plugin, etc), my guess is that one (or more) of the extensions is causing a problem.  The XML data for one of the extensions may be corrupt.

I would move the XML files out of App_Data\datastore\extensions to another location.  Then restart the blog (make any change to the web.config file -- add a space, etc).  And then pull up the blog and see if this error persists.

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for the tip, really. I never thought troubleshooting individual extensions. Tomorrow I'll take them down one by one and what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.