Updated extension for thumbnail creation

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jan 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Hi,

today i've updated the "Thumbnailer" extension. The following features are implemented:

1. automatic creation of thumbnail images
2. adding links to the thumbnails to show up the original either normally or in a lightbox layer (optional)

More information can be found on my site at http://blog.data-worx.de/page/Extension-Thumbnailer.aspx

Cheers, René

--
http://blog.data-worx.de/
Jan 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM
That is really awesome, René!

Now, for future releases, would it be able to set a maximum width and height in the extensions manager, so that if no width and height is set in the code, the images would automatically create a thumbnail if the original image exceeds the set size?

It would really make it simple for the end user, and one can rest assure that the page layout will never be ruined by oversized images.

Again, great work!!

Cheers!
- jonah
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Hi Jonah,

thx. Do you mean that every image should be parsed even if no thumb: tag is present? And if the image exceeds the maxwidth or maxheight a thumbnail should be created? The technical part is no problem, but what if the user wants to have the large image in some situations?

René
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Hi René,

Yes, that is what I mean.
Many blogs have a fixed width, and I know that at least I am too lazy to edit the code for each image I upload. In that case I would just have to upload the images and have a max width and height that will never be exceeded. I would always know that the image will not ruin my layout, and I would not have to spend a minute on every image I upload to change the code.

I could set my max width to 500px and know that all images bigger than that would have a thumb which is max 500px.
If I want other sizes on the thumbs, I can manually change the size in the code, as you have the extension set up now.

So, basically your extension would work the same way as it does, but with the option to set a default max-width and max-height for images that are not manually configured.

Cheers!
- jonah
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Hi Jonah,

that sounds great. I'll extend the extension to support default maxwidth or maxheight and default link type. If you have any other feature requests or if you find any bugs let me know :)

Cheers, René
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM
That sounds great!
It's perfect for lazy buggers like me! :)

- jonah
Jan 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM
Minus the lightbox stuff, the thumbnailer stuff is done for me by Windows Live Writer... just FYI.

Though it is a very nice extension.
Jan 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM
Hi René!

How is it going with the thumbnailer ideas that I had?
Do you need a hand? :)

Cheers!
- jonah
Mar 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

jonahcarneskog wrote:
Hi René,

Yes, that is what I mean.
Many blogs have a fixed width, and I know that at least I am too lazy to edit the code for each image I upload. In that case I would just have to upload the images and have a max width and height that will never be exceeded. I would always know that the image will not ruin my layout, and I would not have to spend a minute on every image I upload to change the code.

I could set my max width to 500px and know that all images bigger than that would have a thumb which is max 500px.
If I want other sizes on the thumbs, I can manually change the size in the code, as you have the extension set up now.

So, basically your extension would work the same way as it does, but with the option to set a default max-width and max-height for images that are not manually configured.

Cheers!
- jonah

I will 2nd and 3rd the vote to have the thumbnailer extension parse all images for a max width and thumbnail automatically!

I'm working on a post that has about 50 images and editing each tag isn't such a big deal, but I can only seem to edit one image at a time. If I edit 2 or more images, only the 1st image is parsed. All other images are left as their original, but oddly the width/height attributes in the html are set to 25x25 for all remaining images.

Cheers!
::k::
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM
Hi,

sorry that i haven't done the modifications until know. I was a little bit busy and so i did nothing on my private projects. I will try to update the extension next week with support for default sizes, full configuration with the config manager and some bug fixes.

Cheers,

René
Mar 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Hi René,

I was a little bit busy and so i did nothing on my private projects. Know the feeling!

I put together a EXIF extension for digital photography (http://blog.i386.com). The idea is to create a PhotoBlog out of BlogEngine with mininum changes.
At the moment I haven't bake my idea fully but some how to use the EXIF extension with your thumbnail extension. Maybe some sort of hybrid.

Gavin :-)
Mar 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM
double post - dogdy FF3 Beta
Mar 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM

rkuss wrote:
Hi,

sorry that i haven't done the modifications until know. I was a little bit busy and so i did nothing on my private projects. I will try to update the extension next week with support for default sizes, full configuration with the config manager and some bug fixes.

Cheers,

René

Cool!
I think many of us are looking forward to this! :)

- jonah