Problem with Administration Panel links

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Hi all,
I'm having some issues with the Administration Panel links on my blog. When I've signed in with my user the links in the panel doesn't show. Before BE 1.3 release none of the links would show, but after installing 1.3 two links are now showing - the "Extensions" and the "Change Password". And the strangest thing is... this is only happening on two of my Vista machines, but on my XP machine it's working perfectly. Anyone else experienced this?

To me this concludes that it shouldn't be a problem in the code nor the web host I'm using, right? Only thing I can think of is some kind of setting on the computer, but I have no clue to what it could be.

If I try to open the admin/pages/settings.aspx page after logged in I'm being redirected to "login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fadmin%2fpages%2fsettings.aspx", but I don't get to the login page - all I see is the Change Password page. Which also is strange to me...

Last thing that confuses me. It's not a browser problem because it's the exact same behaviour in both IE 7.0 and Opera 9.25. I read a topic with the similiar problem although it seemed to be IIS related which this shouldn't be. I hope someone can point me in the right direction - would be nice to be able to administrate the blog on my main workstation.

Regards,
Lindahl
Jan 25, 2008 at 1:59 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM
At last I figured what the problem was and thought I'd point it out if anyone makes the same mistake as I did.

My problem was related to roles.xml. When I updated my blog to the latest version I needed to update the user for log in - only the default admin user existed (dunno the reason, might been a mistake during the upgrade). So I deleted the admin user from the admin panel and then created my own user. This is where I overlooked a necessary step in the create user process - I did not appoint any roles to my user. Instead just selected Go to first page. I guess the Extension Manager and Change Password pages isn't included in the role management (bug?). I was logged in but didn't have a role appointed to that user.

So if you experience a similiar problem to mine, be sure to check your roles.xml.

To BlogEngine Developers: Maybe appointing role(s) to a user should be included in the first step of the Create new user process?

*Edit - Just thought of the odd behaviour in all this. I could still view the adminstration panel on my Windows XP. I have no idea why this was possible. Maybe related to cache, but not sure. Very odd! :p