Need Detailed 1.5 to 1.6 Upgrade Instructions

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Could someone form the BE team provide detailed upgrade instructions for BlogEngine.NET?  I've tried and lost all my posts and customized layout.  I tried a web ftp copy of the 1.6 files and configured the logins but lost all my posts and pages and had to restore back to 1.5.

I would greatly appreciate a step-by-step video how to.

Many Thanks,

Jeff 

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Mads Kristensen and/or RazorAnt, could you assist?

Thanks,

Jeff

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM

For upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6, there's only a couple of steps.

1.  Overwrite your 1.5 blog folder with the 1.6 blog folder, except for the (a) App_Data folder and (b) web.config file.

2.  In your blog, delete the "ExtensionManager" sub-folder in the App_Code folder.

This last step #2 is mentioned along with another non-critical CSS change you may want to make in these upgrade instructions.  I'm assuming you're not using a DB backend.  If you are, there's an upgrade SQL script in the "setup" folder you would want to run.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Thanks BenAmada,

Followed these instructions and now it's working.

One issue I ran into was I lost my BlobRoll settings after upgrade and had to re-do manually, just an FYI, not a major issue though...

Thanks,

Jeff

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM
BenAmada wrote:

2.  In your blog, delete the "ExtensionManager" sub-folder in the App_Code folder.

Hi

I am running BlogEngine 1.5.1.46 - and I do not have the ExtensionManager folder in the App_Code folder. I do have an Extensions folder - should I delete that, then?

Thanks.

--
eliasen

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I think BE 1.5.1.46 was a release that was after the ExtensionManager was moved to the BE core (1.5.1.46 was released near the time BE 1.6 came out).  So this has already been taken care of for you.  There's nothing you need to delete.  The Extensions folder contains the actual extensions ... that should remain there.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Thank you for the very fast answer!